Removing Silver Steering Wheel Trim Pieces for Wrap/Dip? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > The Crosstrek Garage > Interior Appearance/Mods

Old 05-30-2014, 05:35 PM  

My Vehicle: 2014 Crosstrek
Default Removing Silver Steering Wheel Trim Pieces for Wrap/Dip?

I popped off the silver dash trim pieces and wrapped them with carbon fiber vinyl yesterday, thanks to this thread: http://clubcrosstrek.com/index.php/topic,1508.0.html

Doing the shift knob and bezel pieces tonight with a mix of carbon fiber and plasti dip, like this: http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/i...ter-bezel.html

I'd like to do the same with the silver trim pieces on the steering wheel. Has anyone tried removing them? Might be easier to just tape off and brush on plasti dip, but I'd like to take them off and wrap them with carbon fiber if possible.

Same goes for the inside chrome door handles, and maybe the e-brake release button. I'm not super experienced with plasti dip. Would it hold up on something like a door handle that you're going to touch multiple times per day?

Going to brush plasti dip onto all the little chrome accents on the dash too, like the little horizontal chrome lines on the air vents.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 12:15 AM  

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Sport Jasmine Green Metallic
Default Re: Removing Silver Steering Wheel Trim Pieces for Wrap/Dip?

where did you get the carbon vinyl from ?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:56 AM  

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited

I tried to get the trim off the steering wheel. Could not with out breaking it. In did wrap some other parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.13 MB, 211 views)
Master Shooter
All round nice guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 03:58 PM  

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Hey neighbor Ikon! Nicely done. Looking really sharp!

So how are you liking the footwell lighting?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by The
where did you get the carbon vinyl from ?
I used to have a small die-cut / vinyl sign business and have some specialty vinyls left over. You can get 3m carbon fiber vinyl off Amazon pretty easily though.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikon
I tried to get the trim off the steering wheel. Could not with out breaking it. In did wrap some other parts
Did you paint the silver on the steering wheel? It looks almost black in your photo

The carbon fiber looks good on the shifter bezel. I've been going back and forth on whether I want to wrap it or plasti dip it.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimia
Hey neighbor Ikon! Nicely done. Looking really sharp!

So how are you liking the footwell lighting?
It looks great. Cost only about $25.00
Master Shooter
All round nice guy
Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikon
Did you paint the silver on the steering wheel? It looks almost black in your photo

The carbon fiber looks good on the shifter bezel. I've been going back and forth on whether I want to wrap it or plasti dip it.
It's still silver. Just poor lighting.
Master Shooter
All round nice guy
Old 07-11-2015, 04:02 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikon View Post

You will need to do this to get the plastic piece off...[modified from the Forester forum...]Subaru Forester Owners Forum Look at step 9.

Do this at your OWN risk, when modifying the steering wheelor removing air bag modules, you risk damaging the air bag, deploying it or some other crazy thing. If you don't torque the wheel nut back correctly, your wheel can come off during driving and cause a deadly accident. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

1. Use 10mm socket and remove the negative battery terminal, then press on the brake a few times. Wait about 10-15mins then come back and press on brake again to make sure there's no residual
electrical current in the systems. THIS IS CRUCIAL otherwise you risk deploying the airbag when unplugging it.

2. There are 3 holes behind/side of the wheel. You need to use a small flathead to push against this spring loaded metal clip thing to release the airbag. It helps to look with a small flashlight in the holes.

3. After the 3 clip things, the air bag will pop out, there will be 3 connections to remove, a grey ground wire and 2 SRS wires, one black and one
red connector. The wires for SRS are always yellow.

4. Look your
steering column if you haven't done it yet. Now remove the 2 connectors that control the cruise/radio and MFD, they are near the top of the wheel, white connectors.

5. You are ready to remove the wheel! Get a 17mm socket and a
breaker bar and remove the nut. Use a quick forceful jab to remove it. Make a mark on the stud in some relation to the wheel and take a picture so you know where to align it back later.

6. Thread back the nut on a few turns so the wheel won't fly off when you pull it. You have to pull on it hard different directions to get the off. [I used a rubber mallet on the steering wheel] Once is off, slowly pull the wheel out and DO NOT LET THE CLOCKSPRING rotate too much. If you do, you have to reset the clock spring via some procedure.

7. Flip the wheel over and remove 4 bolts with the philips and 2 connectors for the
paddle shifters (if applicable) and one brown clip.

8. Flip the wheel back to front and remove the connector that was with the
brown clip.

9. Now you can just pull on the cover to flip it back to reveal the 3 hidden screws for the 2 side controls (radio, cruise) and the bottom
silver bezel thing. Unscrew those 3 screws then pull on the 2 steering controls to remove them, they are not that tight but don't worry too much about breaking it.

10. Now reverse the steps and put back the pieces to the new wheel staring with the Steering controls
11. Time to put the wheel back into the car! Align it back however you marked and make sure it's correct. Again don't move the clock spring too much. Reconnect the 2 connectors for the cruise/radio/mfd stuff at the top.
12. Torque the 17mm nut to about 28-30 ft-lbs Once that's done, reconnect the airbag connectors and ground wire, then just pop the airbag back into the wheel, it should just click in.

13. Completion, put back the negative battery terminal and start up the car to ON only to make sure no SRS lights light up.