Steering Wheel Durability - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2006 Ford Fusion SE, Dark Blue
Default Steering Wheel Durability

I am awaiting the delivery of my new '14 Crosstrek, which should be in around the 27th. I did not opt for the limited, so I'll have the standard vinyl steering wheel. My '07 Fusion's wheel is all worn and patchy (and has been for years), which drives me crazy because it's right in front of my face all the time.

Those of you who have driven Subies for a while, how does the wheel hold up over time? Do you have and tips for care or protection?

Thanks!

Bluecoat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 05:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Steering Wheel Durability

I have an '05 Civic Hybrid for my commuter car and the steering wheel developed over time some patches in spots where I touched it. It was from the oils on my hand and from leaving it parked outside all these years. I cleaned it really good (had to scrub...) and starting using vinyl conditioner on it. From now on, I'll just keep it clean. Same with my XV.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2006 Ford Fusion SE, Dark Blue
Default Re: Steering Wheel Durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw
I have an '05 Civic Hybrid for my commuter car and the steering wheel developed over time some patches in spots where I touched it. It was from the oils on my hand and from leaving it parked outside all these years. I cleaned it really good (had to scrub...) and starting using vinyl conditioner on it. From now on, I'll just keep it clean. Same with my XV.
My wheel has large strips where the outer layer and texturing has worn completely off. It's discolored and just looks awful. Seems like the only remedies are ill fitting one piece covers or DIY leather wraps, neither of which look like they would perform well. The damage was most likely caused by steering with the heel of my palm "wax on, wax off" style. My car has been parked outside the entire time I've owned it and I've never used any kind of protectant so I'll have to be more proactive when my tangerine baby arrives.
Thanks!
Bluecoat04 is offline   Reply With Quote