Subaru cargo organizer..? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > The Crosstrek Garage > Interior Appearance/Mods

Old 09-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV
Default Subaru cargo organizer..?

So this one might fall under the "regrets" purchases...which have been quite rare for this car...

I purchased the Subaru cargo organizer - and I was surprised at how small it is. I would have thought it would stretch the width of the rear cargo area? And I also thought it had an integrated way to be secured to the cargo area..am I missing something?

In retrospect, I wish I had passed on the Subaru organizer and instead went with my gut and bought the Mountain Smith 4-Cube Organizer - which actually seems to fit perfectly in the back of the Subaru:

The Mountain Smith one measures 15" x 35" x 15"..which fits just about perfectly in the back of the XV (15" height brings it just under the privacy cover if you have it extended..)

So unless someone points me to what I'm doing wrong with the Subaru organizer..I might have to swap it out with the Mountain Smith one.. (??)

BeachAV8R

BeachAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013, Premium, Dark Gray Metallic
Default Re: Subaru cargo organizer..?

You are doing nothing wrong. Harbor Freight has a red copy of the blue one at a cost of $10.-$12. Buy 2 and you are ahead of the blue one. I do like the one you have pictured above.
mifiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

Thanks for the info. I dont have one, but Ive looked at it from time to time. Ive always been under the assumption the subaru one was about the width of the cargo area. Disappointing that it is not...
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

Hmm..also liking this one from Rola - 38" wide (the XV looks to be about 40" wide at the narrowest part of the cargo area..)

LINK! - $63-ish dollars though.. EDIT - $53.43 with free shipping from the great overlords at Amazon: HERE!

Just ordered it - hoping it will attach to the rings on the left/right side of the XV near the bottom of the cargo area floor. I'll report back..

BeachAV8R
Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

please do! I'll likely order that one as well, but would love to hear from someone on it beforehand
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #6

Alrighty..got the Rola today (thanks Amazon Prime!).. It fits perfectly. Has about an inch and half gap on either side to the wheel well and doesn't crimp or hit the lip of the cargo area mud guard. The lower profile means you can get to and put stuff in without worrying about the top privacy cover getting in the way. The compartments are adjustable using Velcro that runs the entire length of the organizer, so you can make those bays whatever size you want. The thing is heavy (and heavy duty). The bottom grips the rubber mud guard and the thing will not move even when empty. Even still, I plan to attach some short 3 or 4" bungees maybe from the rings on the side to the D-rings on the sides of the XV to make sure it doesn't go anywhere. When pushed all the way to the back, up against the rear seats, the good news is there is still room for the Subaru OEM organizer - which looks pretty good for groceries and stuff. The Rola would be more ideal for stuff you keep in your car or for traveling.

I give it the thumbs up seal of approval..

BeachAV8R
Old 09-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Wow, those pics make the OEM organizer look pretty pathetic...
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAlejan
Wow, those pics make the OEM organizer look pretty pathetic...
Well, I guess it depends on what they were targeting for use. The OEM one is smaller and is more "portable" in that you could probably put it in your shopping cart, take it into the store, and then just transfer it from the cart to your trunk when you are done shopping (and from there into your kitchen when you get home). So from that standpoint it is more useful for moving stuff. The Rola is definitely more of a car storage thing as opposed to a tote.. Both are made very well (quality construction), and I can see the point of both of them...

Would have been cool if Subaru had offered a tote with 3 bays that would have matched the width of the back of the car. That said, I do like the black color better than blue. Of course, when someone makes one with orange trim..I'll be all over it.. <g>

BeachAV8R
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #9

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek Limited (Black on Tan w Nav & Moonroof)

I am loving that Rola. Thanks for posting this Beach, I just ordered one myself.
0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #10

Good point Beach, I hadn't thought of that use. The county I used to live in made plastic bags at stores cost .05$ each, so you see a lot more people bringing their own bags. I could see that being pretty useful for that scenario.

In terms of a quasi permanent cargo organizer, that Rola looks pretty damn good.