UHF - convoy communications - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

My Vehicle: MY13 Subaru XV 2.0iS CVT Ice Silver Metallic
Default UHF - convoy communications

Hi all

One thing required by many 4WD clubs is the ability for everyone to communicate throughout the convoy via UHF radio. I'm not sure what band you guys in the US use. One problem with them is that they are generally difficult to fit in a car-like vehicle without being seen - as opposed to a large 4WD which are designed to have these sorts of things fitted. Tempting to prying eyes, UHF radios are regularly knocked off around here in Sydney. The solution is to find one with a small front end that is unobtrusive and easily hidden yet still within easy reach of the driver. Many radios these days have the controls in the mic, with the main unit hidden under a seat or behind the dash.

The GME (Aussie brand) TX3400 is perfect for the job, with the head unit sitting comfortably under the extended armrest - out of view until you slide the armrest back. Neat, and hidden from view until you need it. The mic's coil sits neatly in the exit grooves in the top of the storage area so that you can hide the mic in the armrest as well. The main unit is nestled under the seat, and takes no real room anyway.

The aerial is a "through the glass" unit developed by GME as well. 2db gain, it's perfect for convoy duty without resorting to having to fit a larger one on a nudge bar or ugly magnetic base on your paintwork. It can be unscrewed for car washes and when not in use so it, too, doesn't get knocked off.

Photos: 1) Aerial 2) Nicely hidden from view with the armrest pulled forward 3) Exposed and ready to use

Cheers
Chris

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00985.jpg (90.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00987.jpg (90.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00993.jpg (93.0 KB, 61 views)

Omaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Dessert Khaki
Default Re: UHF - convoy communications

Nifty - I don't know if any of our 4WD clubs are that keen on safety in the US. I know we have considered a CB radio just to be safer - especially if we're off-roading alone. Alot of people probably think you can just use your cell phone to call for help, but those don't always get reception in rugged areas
Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Hmmmmm, in the United States, it's a bit different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhf_radio#United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13-centimeter_band

Thanks for posting! I always wondered what other radio equipment would be necessary for traveling to remote and harsh areas and seeing your thread has made me learn something new. Thanks and welcome to the club!
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

Looks good Omaroo. Its cool that you found a low profile radio for the crosstrek. I like how well it fits with the console!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

Nice and concealed! Love it! All of our members ( 99%) at Reno4x4 have either a CB or HAM ( or both ) to communicate....those who don't are highly encouraged.

Cobra makes a nice setup with all controls on the mic and very easy to install for those thinking of hooking up a CB

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2008 Forester XS 4EAT

Nice clean installation and a very nice compact unit, I'll be linking this to the Forester forum UHF thread. Wondering if there is a North American equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyellowroseoftexas
Nifty - I don't know if any of our 4WD clubs are that keen on safety in the US. I know we have considered a CB radio just to be safer - especially if we're off-roading alone. Alot of people probably think you can just use your cell phone to call for help, but those don't always get reception in rugged areas
Rose not to go to far off Chris's topic, but there is a product from Spot that will work with your smart-phone via satellite in areas where you have no cell phone reception. http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116 It gives you the ability to send email or text messages only, but better than nothing when you need help.