Viper remote start - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 11-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV Black
Default Viper remote start

Anyone have a viper security or remote start system in their car? and if so would you reccomend it?

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited Ice Silver
Default Re: Viper remote start

I don't know about viper systems. Where I used to work they installed Audiovox remote starting systems, Audiovox seemed to be a pretty good product. That was a few years ago though. I would recommend that unless you are very good with auto electronics you have it professionally installed. We only installed products that we sold to the customer. There were to many warranty issues that came with installing others products. Couldn't tell you how many people brought in Bulldog or Viper systems that were received as Christmas gifts. These people had big trouble finding someone to install the products for them. We wouldn't do it. The best bet is to find a shop that sells and installs the brand you want. Good luck
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Black Premium

I have an Avital 4113 remote start which was purchased from and installed by a local shop. It works well and I am very happy with it. Evidently the Avital units are made by the same company that makes Viper products and are virtually identical. The shop recommended it over the Viper simply because the fob for my keyring is smaller than the Viper fob. I ended up with the factory fob along with a small single botton remote start fob on my keyring.

The remote start operates with 2 clicks (can be programmed differently) and it unlocks the drivers door at the same time. The engine keeps running when the door is opened. The hazard lights flash twice when a start signal is received and there is no annoying horn beep. If I want to keep the door locked, I need to click the button on the factory fob after it starts. This is no issue for me but could be for some who wish to start the car from a greater distance (within the range of the remote start but outside of the factory key fob range).

2 extra modules were required to get the electronics to work -it took the technician 4-5 hours including some phone calls to tech support. This was due to something about the XV having 2 start lines and proper interaction with the CAN bus. The guy said it was his first Crosstrek install and he would charge more in the future due to the extra work involved. I would highly recommend professional installation for a remote start system unless you are very confident of your abilities.

Make sure that they install some sort of disable switch - a plunger type that opens when the hood is open or at least a manual kill switch somewhere. That will protect someone working on the car from an inadvertant start while working on the engine.

Overall I am very pleased with the final product. The total cost including tax was $425.
b2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #4

I don't have one now, but used a Viper in my last vehicle, and I was very pleased with it. I am contemplating between Viper and Audiovox Code Alarm
MadeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInMaine
I don't have one now, but used a Viper in my last vehicle, and I was very pleased with it.
I too have had multiple viper setups in various vehicles, very pleased with the product.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV Black

thanx for the replies, I had an Avital system in my old car and it worked pretty well but it was only a one way remote. I know that Viper sells one way and two way and I was looking into the two way and I do know the installer from Best Buy and I trust him so I'm not worried there, just wanted to see if anyone had any problems
Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Premium CVT Blue

Yes but not on my wifes Subaru. I have the LCD 2 way on my Toyota Tacoma. Works great but has a short time limit so it needs to be restarted. I don't think Vipers will work on a Crosstrek as of yet. Looked at the Viper web site and Crosstrek wasn't on the list. Too bad. Better alarm.
dlopan is offline   Reply With Quote