Where do you apply Dynamat speaker sound deadening material? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited CVT , 2008 Honda Ridgline
Default Where do you apply Dynamat speaker sound deadening material?

I am planning on installing the Kicker speaker upgrade. Tweeters and door speakers, not the sub. I've seen a few photos and remarks about using sound dreading material like Dynamat to improve the sound quality. My question is how much to use and where to best apply the material in the doors? I found the Dynamat material at Best Buy locally but at $40 for 4 sq ft it looks like an expensive process. On the package of Dynamat it recommended covering the entire inside of the door replacing the waterproof door barrier. I've seen some posts where someone used a product from Home Depot. I have some of this insulation and the foam does not appear to be as heavy or dense. Will it still work?

Thanks ,
Tom

GT-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited CVT , 2008 Honda Ridgline
Default Re: Where do you apply Dynamat speaker sound deadening material?

Anybody? ………….

I was hoping the vast knowledge of the forum could save some research and time on this subject. Oh well I wanted to tackle this project over the weekend so I plunged ahead.

Checking some other car forums indicated the Frost King insulation was OK to use for some sound proofing in other areas of the car but for vibration cancelling a Product like Dynamat was better. I talked to a local Audio installer and they use Dynamat for their installs. They recommended for best performance of the door speakers, completely cover all the holes on the inside of the door with this material. That makes the door act as a speaker cabinet for the speaker and also insulates out the road noise.

After removing the door panels I removed the plastic moisture barrier and all the sticky goop. Notice the factory does use a couple of pieces of rubber to seal the holes from road noise.

I made a template from paper to get a rough shape of the door and traced this onto 2 – 12” X 36 “ pieces of Dynamat. I cut the Dynamat bigger than need to allow for losing some area to the contours of the door. Clean the door surface with alcohol so the self-sticking mat has a good adherence. I pulled out all the wire grommets to make it easier to apply the mat behind the wires. Carefully cut slices and holes as you apply the Dynamat to run the wires and door cables. Peel the paper off the back of the mat as you go along then use a wallpaper roller to make sure the mat stick in all the small nooks. You can use small scraps later to cover up the cuts. It is important that the mat stick well to the metal to most effective in cancelling vibration.

I also pulled the door cover off the opposite door so I could use that door as a template to punch all the holes through the Dynamat for the wire grommets and panel clips. The hardest part was actually finding all the little holes for the wire clips and panel clips. After applying the Dynamat remove the old speaker and install the new Kicker speaker. (Easiest part).

Notice the difference between the factory base speaker and the Kicker upgrade.

Repeat for the other doors.

When I did the tweeters I used a couple of small buttons of Dynamat under each screw to isolate the tweeters from the plastic dash. I also cut a couple of pieces of the rubber mat from the door water barrier plastic to stuff under the tweeter grill to make sure the grills did not vibrate.

I used the left over scraps to first sound proof the rear hatch door using the same idea of covering all the holes. The rest of craps I used up in cargo area under the spare tire. I did add the frost King stuff on top of this to help even moor.
GT-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

ya did it right exept i would have just matted over the speaker hole and cut it out after. Pie slice the hole and wrap the dynamat around inwards to beef up the damping around the speaker. nice work man. You notice a little more tightness to the sound or a bit more bass? I did my drivers door and replaced the stock speaker and noticed a slight increase in bass. I'll be putting in Polks this weekend and finishing the passenger side. I did video it for you (replied to ur post on another forum) but the editing was too much for my computer to handle so I couldnt get the vid the way I wanted. Anyway, You did it! Great job!
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #4

Ideally you want to install some to the outside skin of the door first. Doesn't have to be full coverage. Just a couple square feet cut up into squares and spread out all over the panel. Helps absorb vibration of that panel.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #5

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

I too had a constant noise at highway speeds to the point where I was totally drain of the noise. Sounded like going down the road it a medal trash can. I installed g-mat on the inside skin of the doors and tailgate with 25% coverage spaced out. Jute padding between the panels and the plastic barrier of the doors. In the front plastic inner fender liners I installed 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation (what a drop of road noise). The finial was jute padding under the carpet. I was surprise how little soundproofing the manufacture put in. Very notable difference when I got done. gtmat should changed the sound of medal from ting to a thug sound. Here's a good site to read http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...our-truck.html
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote