Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Does a New Car Need Waxing Right Away?

8K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Bob's Crosstrek 
#1 ·
Just took delivery of my 2019 Crosstrek Limited (quartz blue pearl) last Monday. Does it need waxing right away? Is it already waxed? What do you all think of the ceramic paint protection that dealers sell? Is that in lieu of waxing?

#4 ·
I went with this advice from someone who posted that was a painter at a body shop:

“Someone mentioned putting a good wax on the car when you get it. This is kind of a touchy area. Your not supposed to apply wax over fresh paint for 6 months after application. This allows the solvents from the painting process to fully escape from the finish, allowing the paint to properly cure and harden. If you apply the wax to soon, it locks the solvents in the paint and prevents the paint from curing properly and can lead to paint problems. Everything from chipping easy, scratching easy, delamming (pealing) etc. when you get your new car, look on the tag in the door jamb. It has a manufacture date for your car which is written as a month then year (ex 01/16). Wait till 6 months after this to wax it. You can use a polish on it up to that point. Polish is mush different then wax. Same applies if you get bodywork done on your car, wait till 6 months after the repairs are made to wax and panels that were painted. “

What I did notice on both of our cars (new) when parked in an enclosed space that their was a strange smell. After reading his post, it made sense that the smell was the paint. I did wait for the period of time. During that time the smell eventually went away for both vehicles.

#6 ·
So I decided on the following:

Step 1) Thorough wash, top to bottom.
Step 2) Clay bar (I found some paint swirling in at least one area).
Step 3) Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (initial "dry" process).
Step 4) Repeat (but with the "regular" wet application).
Step 5) Tire shine (trying to decide if I like that or not)
Step 5) Have a drink (probably a large glass of water...I'm funny that way).

Thank you all for the comments, I do appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.