Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Not too happy with Mesh Grille installation

8K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  andthereyouare 
#1 ·
I noticed that there is a very large, noticeable gap between the leading edge of the hood and the grille and headlights after installing my sport grille today. I never noticed this with the stock grille, but I only had it on there for 3 days! Does anyone else notice this on theirs? It really looks awful to me and seems like there is something wrong. The hood is definitely closed as well.

I also was concerned that there is no rubber weather stripping on the top of the sport grille like there is on the stock one. It seems like it should be included for the price of the grille. I'm not even sure I would be able to add on anyway.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yup, we have the same gap between our hood and the top edge of the Sport Grille. I don't know what the original grille looked like, so it is just an annoying line of sight on the XV.

Dan

#7 ·
I believe you are supposed to transfer the weather strip onto the new grille when you install it. We've been doing that on all the ones we've had come through the shop so far.

#10 ·
Pat1usmc said:
Yes, very easy. Just peel it off and stick it on the new grille. You'll still have the giant gap though.
I transferred the weather strip from my factory grille to my mesh grille & it filled in the spot just fine - no gap. Seems my trim piece filled in the gap fine?
Also, painted the radiator black & I think that helps with the look as well (not related to the "gap" though).

#11 ·
theyellowroseoftexas said:
I transferred the weather strip from my factory grille to my mesh grille & it filled in the spot just fine - no gap. Seems my trim piece filled in the gap fine?
Also, painted the radiator black & I think that helps with the look as well (not related to the "gap" though).
Hey YellowRose,

Does the weatherstrip just peel right up? I noticed that there is the rubber strip and then a hard whitish plastic strip under that. Just wondering if, when removing, you should peel the black rubber or that white strip underneath.

TIA,

Brian

#13 ·
andthereyouare said:
The white-ish strip is prolly the sticky part for the rubber to stick to. When I peeled mine off the original grill both came off as one piece.
Agreed - mine is new - so it was very easy to get off and transfer over. Even reset it a couple of times and so far it's staying on well. I have some automotive 3M tape, so I figured if I lost too much sticky off the original I'd just add some more.

#15 ·
Here's another picture.
http://clubcrosstrek.com/gallery/69517_03_03_13_7_13_19.jpeg

I took the emblem off too. Not sure I like the look to be honest. I actually dig the original grill dipped in black. The Sport grill mesh is wire and it looks like a black hole. It's on my car though for the moment. All these peeps are adding them to there cars, maybe it's not soo bad.

If this pic doesn't help I can post another pic later today.

#17 ·
riseagainstme said:
That works, Thank you. And yes it does look like a black hole. Normally I like grilles like that, but for some reason this one just looks weird. Plasti dip it is!
That was kinda why I kept my emblem on the mesh grille - less black hole look. What are you plasti dippin? I would recommend engine paint for the radiator - plasti dip might be kinda thick & I don't know if it is heat tolerant? I am hoping your dippin your OEM grille - I like that look. Now, the mesh grille might look cool plasti dip. I've also considered adding another layer of mesh to my grill so it's not so see through?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.