11500 miles, here is what is wrong - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2016 Hyper Blue Premium Crosstrek
Default 11500 miles, here is what is wrong

2016 Hyper Blue Premium

A/C is not very good at all.
If the car is sitting in the shade, the A/C seems to do just okay.
If it is hot, the A/C barely does anything.
And if I get on it say going up a steep hill or getting onto the highway, it will start to blow warm air until i ease up on the throttle.
My legacy was ice cold no matter the outside condition.

Brake bias is very weird.
The drivers front seems to apply the most force. Under hard braking the car wants to pull to that drivers front wheel.

Paint is very, very soft.

Also even when babying her, I can only seem to get around 26.7 mpg.

Does anyone else have or notice any of these issues?

xRuhRohx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

You're still under warranty so I'd take it in and have them check the refrigerant pressure. My evaporator core had a small leak that took them a while to locate, but the car wouldn't cool for crap.

My AC is ice cold now and it was ice cold when I first purchased.

Don't know if it's true, but the mechanic said he had replaced 4 evap cores on new model Subis in the past few months when I took it in.

My brakes feel fine to me, so can't help much on that one.

The paint does suck... I got a bunch of chips and invested in a touch up stick.

What's your daily commute like? If you drive less than 10 miles one way, like me, it's hard to get mpg above that even going 55mph. When my commute was 30 miles one way, I was getting around 31-32mpg. Freeway speeds drop MPG as well.

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeytoe View Post
You're still under warranty so I'd take it in and have them check the refrigerant pressure. My evaporator core had a small leak that took them a while to locate, but the car wouldn't cool for crap.

My AC is ice cold now and it was ice cold when I first purchased.

Don't know if it's true, but the mechanic said he had replaced 4 evap cores on new model Subis in the past few months when I took it in.

My brakes feel fine to me, so can't help much on that one.

The paint does suck... I got a bunch of chips and invested in a touch up stick.

What's your daily commute like? If you drive less than 10 miles one way, like me, it's hard to get mpg above that even going 55mph. When my commute was 30 miles one way, I was getting around 31-32mpg. Freeway speeds drop MPG as well.

My commute is about 2 miles city and 15 hwy.
How easy is it to use the touch up stick so it doesn't look like you touched it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

My A/C has done sufficiently despite the extreme environments I've brought it to.

It is perfectly normal for the air conditioning to reduce/temporarily operate under heavy or full load as it is the high-load A/C cutoff feature working normally.

My brakes (excluding when I had EBC Brakes Yellowstuff) have always felt great with the sports brake pads I use.

With improved driving technique and a better route, higher MPG can be had. A mostly-freeway route is preferred, but from the looks of it, you may have already optimized your route for efficiency.

I at first thought my XV Crosstrek seemed unusually inefficient... until I was consistently getting 30+ MPG on my old highway commute. A lot of it has to do with driving technique. If you want to aim for super high MPG, drafting/slipstreaming larger vehicles is a great way to significantly improve MPG, although you will probably be driving much slower.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

Thank you all for the replies, and thank you AWDfreak for replying on both forums!

My next service is coming up in a week or so, so I am going to have them check everything out.

As for my mpg, I have a heavy foot so usually I am getting around 24.7 - 25 mpg.
But I have filled it up a few times and babied her and once I was able to hit 32 but the second I got off the highway, i was back down to around 27.
SO I guess I am on par with everyone else there.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #6

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRuhRohx View Post
My commute is about 2 miles city and 15 hwy.
How easy is it to use the touch up stick so it doesn't look like you touched it up?
For me personally, impossible haha. It covers it up and looks a heck of alot better than the grey primer, but it's still noticeable. I can easily spot them out, but my girlfriend can't see most of them. The color matches about 99%, but you still see the small divet where the paint chip was below. I'm guessing if you really took your time with it and had steady hands, it would look better. The spray may also be better??

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #7

I also have a heavy foot, and have been trying over the past couple of weeks to get better MPG by not driving like I usually do... I've been able to average about 26.7 MPG, up from 25.8. My commute is 14 miles one way, with about 4 miles of it being a back country road with a 55mph speed limit, and the rest is in-town driving.

My 2015 has about 12,500 miles on it, and my A/C is blowing ice cold... though I also never use it since it takes away so much power; I just sweat it out. :-D But yeah, there's definitely a problem there.

There should be no brake bias from the factory, so I'd request that they measure the pads on both sides to see if one is wearing faster and/or is out of alignment for some reason cause uneven wear and braking.
ORXVCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:46 AM   #8

My Vehicle: 2016 CVT Dark Grey Metallic

Doesn't sound normal to me in comparison to my 2016. None of my Subarus have ever had "good" A/C but air in my Crosstrek is serviceable and has never cut out. Fuel mileage sounds like the most glaring issue. I average 32-33 and can push it out to 35 when I am trying for it. Lousy paint has always been a knock on these cars though.
philosykos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, brakes, paint