2019 Crosstrek random stereo static & distortion all inputs except AM/FM? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > The Crosstrek Garage > General Maintenance & Troubleshooting

Old 03-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Default 2019 Crosstrek random stereo static & distortion all inputs except AM/FM?

After just 1 week of ownership on a new Subaru 2019 Crosstrek Premium I suddenly get major nonstop music static and distortion all inputs BUT AM/FM. This is not just an off and on problem. Happens on CDs, all XM channels, Bluetooth, and audio jack cable & usb via cell phone. No items are plugged into the 12 volt receptacles (that might cause interference.) Everything but AM/FM is un-listenable and sounds like it will damage the speakers. Tried turning the radio off and on (hold in left dial) as well as multiple stops/starts of car via key and doesn't change.

This is stock stereo system (not Harmon Kardon or Rockford Fosgate)/6.5" Starlink Plus screen. Today was first day of major rain since owning the vehicle, is it rain related? Amplifier failing?
Here is one of 3 short videos:
https://youtu.be/FzJVw72KVL8

Thanks

daveross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 08:00 PM   #2

Watched your video and that sounds like digital noise/distortion. Maybe the DAC or antenna are bad if it's only happening on digital sources (SXM, CD, USB, BT) but not on analog AM/FM. Try putting it on an FM station that also broadcasts in HD (digital) and see if the noise occurs when the radio automatically switches from the analog broadcast to the HD signal.

Or, just take it back to the dealer and have them troubleshoot it. Likely will have to replace the head unit and/or shark fin antenna.
mikeysixstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveross View Post
After just 1 week of ownership on a new Subaru 2019 Crosstrek Premium I suddenly get major nonstop music static and distortion all inputs BUT AM/FM. This is not just an off and on problem. Happens on CDs, all XM channels, Bluetooth, and audio jack cable & usb via cell phone. No items are plugged into the 12 volt receptacles (that might cause interference.) Everything but AM/FM is un-listenable and sounds like it will damage the speakers. Tried turning the radio off and on (hold in left dial) as well as multiple stops/starts of car via key and doesn't change.

This is stock stereo system (not Harmon Kardon or Rockford Fosgate)/6.5" Starlink Plus screen. Today was first day of major rain since owning the vehicle, is it rain related? Amplifier failing?
Here is one of 3 short videos:
https://youtu.be/FzJVw72KVL8

Thanks
Hi,
I am a new owner of 2019 Crosstrek. I was wondering that how you resolve your problem by the end? I am facing the exact the same problem as you did. (the car is less than 1 month old)
Ming W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #4

There was a firmware and map update
https://www.clubcrosstrek.com/forums...#/topics/10369
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Use your warranty. If you work on the head unit you'll probably void any warranty needs for it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
trekbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbrat View Post
Use your warranty. If you work on the head unit you'll probably void any warranty needs for it.

So I come in the dealer. The lady told me that they don't do anything if the problem comes only in the rain. I told her it's less than 1 month and I need to make sure the audio system is fine. She reluctantly put my car in. I told her does that mean that I have to suffer the issue every time it rain because I'm not sure if my car stays the same problem when they have spot to check my [email protected]@ She just rolled her eye....
Anyway, hopefully they can find out what's going on (I doubt)
Ming W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming W View Post
So I come in the dealer. The lady told me that they don't do anything if the problem comes only in the rain. I told her it's less than 1 month and I need to make sure the audio system is fine. She reluctantly put my car in. I told her does that mean that I have to suffer the issue every time it rain because I'm not sure if my car stays the same problem when they have spot to check my [email protected]@ She just rolled her eye....
Anyway, hopefully they can find out what's going on (I doubt)
Show them your cell phone and video /audio record of the malfunction.

trekbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

Did you check and update firmware if necessary?
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote