38 months from initial purchase - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Default 38 months from initial purchase

Battery died yesterday. Unfortunately, it seems typical of all OEM batteries these days. I am not sure if it would have mattered if it happened three months ago under warranty or not.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Battery died yesterday. Unfortunately, it seems typical of all OEM batteries these days. I am not sure if it would have mattered if it happened three months ago under warranty or not.

The manufacturer has it down to the day when it gives out. I don't think if you had only 30 months on the car it would have matter. Now that were into winter that doesn't help the extra cold puts allot of stress on it. Ever notice when fall comes they start with the commercials about car batteries?
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:19 AM   #3

Don't know if it would matter either, but I always check my battery at the end of the summer. If it is not sealed, I pry the covers off, and add " battery water". You could use distilled water, but they sell the battery water which claims to be better? It's cheap enough to buy. I also clean the terminals with PB Blaster and a stiff brush. I the smear a small glob of Vaseline over each terminal. I was a little late doing it this season, and noticed a little hesitation in the time to crank over on the first real cold morning I encountered. It did take several ounces of water. I also noticed a significant improvement after I did this. And this is an Interstate battery that is not near expiration. But as billybob so clearly says, they can forecast battery failure better than weather can be predicted. Heat and cold are the natural enemies of a battery. You are almost better off replacing it at the expiration date. But, an ounce of prevention (no pun) doesn't hurt. I'm not sure if replacing with an Optima type sealed cell, makes sense. They are quite a bit more expensive. Don't know if it's overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #4

My Vehicle: '16 Crosstrek premium

If your batery has died and within the 3 year warranty they will replace it free of charge with 1 of better quality and higher power output.Take it in and have the battery tested.If it's bad they just might give you a new 1 anyway if you're that close.I have heard of them doing this for a few people on another forum.

If it's cold where you live and your warranty is nearing it's end then try this.Now since you are aware that your battery will die before long you should invest in a battery jumper box before trying this.Try turning everything you can on without the engine running,leave keys in it if you must,and drain the battery before leaving it for the cold winters night to do it's part of the job.Try a few cycles of this abuse combined with sub-zero temps and then drive and park as usual and then see if it starts the next morning.If it starts then repeat until it fails to start.If it doesn't start take it to the dealer and get your new,better battery installed on them.

After they get swamped with all these dead batteries perhaps they will realise they should have used a better battery to begin with.I would have happily payed the difference in cost of the 2 added on to the original price of the car.
MarioAndretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

I feel like the old guy always referencing my 03 WRX but... when I sold it in the summer of 2014 it had the original battery. The car was relatively low miles for being 11 years old at 103k but still.

The. Original. Battery.

I can tell the one in my 2012 Tribeca is already weakening at 40k miles. Some things really aren't as good as they used to be.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:55 AM   #6

That is amazing that a battery lasted that long! I'm guessing you did some maintenance to it. That is extremely low miles though. My car has 224k, and it is a 2004. I'de be keeping that car until it died. I'll bet you got good money for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

The car was originally my wife's from before we were married. It actually had a rough few years before I got ahold of it. She drove it to work and back about 10 mi each way daily. Wasn't great about oil changes.

I have no idea how the battery lasted so long. The AC quit and I never got it fixed so it didn't have that burden for about 3 years.

Spun a bearing and now I'm an XV owner.