5k OCI Motor Oil Consumption - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-30-2016, 11:42 PM   #1

Default 5k OCI Motor Oil Consumption

I've performed all the oil changes on my wife's MY16 Crosstrek 5MT.

The Lezbaru runs on 0w20 Mobil 1 -with the green cap- and an OEM oil filter.
I usually just pour in a 5 Litre jug from wally world and leave it at that as the dipstick indicates "full", and I torque the oil drain plug to 30 lbs/ft. FWIW

1000 mi: A little below 1 litre consumed
5000 mi: ~1.5 litres
10000 mi: ~1.5 litres
15000 mi: ~1.5 litres

I'm familiar with the hub bub concerning the excessive oil consumption issues across many vehicles over the model years.

For you folks out there who know, whats the oil consumption rate you've been experiencing over your Oil Change Intervals?

What are your OCI's?
What motor oil / oil filter combo are you running?
And....are you CVT or 5MT?

LesbianAssaltVehicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2016, 12:30 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 Desert Khaki CrossTrek Limited

No issues here on on my 2015 CVT with 18,000 miles. With 3 changes done so far, by the dealer, I check the level each time before taking it in for service and it always reads full. When they bring it out I check, before leaving, to make sure they haven't overfilled it. So far, knock on wood, it's always shown full for the next 6,000 mile run. I guess I'm just lucky, being 70 years old and having owned approx. 20 cars and 16 motorcycles, I've never owned anything that I've had to add oil between scheduled changes.
Pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor passum View Post
2015 CVT with 18,000 miles.
...With 3 changes done so far, by the dealer
...6,000 mile run.
...I've never owned anything that I've had to add oil between scheduled changes.
To me this doesn't speak much about how much oil you are consuming as you're not doing your own changes and can't visually confirm how much drained out.

When you check the dipstick it never moves?

All modern motors consume some level of motor oil between oil changes.
Lezbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Ltd - 2015 XV Premium

For the most part, they solved the oil consumption problems with the Crosstrek starting with the late 2013 builds ... except, it seems for the MT configurations. I do all my own oil changes and check oil levels (along with tire pressure and most other things that should be routinely checked) weekly. No significant oil consumption with my wife's 2013 (maybe a couple ounces over the course of 5000 miles) and no visible consumption in my 2015. Both, however, are CVTs. Still reports (and there are threads here) of oil consumption of varying degrees with owners of Mts.
d.r.h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2015 Desert Khaki CrossTrek Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lezbaru View Post
To me this doesn't speak much about how much oil you are consuming as you're not doing your own changes and can't visually confirm how much drained out.

When you check the dipstick it never moves?

All modern motors consume some level of motor oil between oil changes.
OK. It never moves a measurable amount. Better?
Pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.r.h. View Post
For the most part, they solved the oil consumption problems with the Crosstrek starting with the late 2013 builds ... except, it seems for the MT configurations.
...Still reports (and there are threads here) of oil consumption of varying degrees with owners of Mts.
Yes the search function yields 5 or so threads. Not a lot of traffic on this website.
LesbianAssaltVehicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:18 AM   #7
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

My OCI varied from the factory 7,500 mile optimal conditions interval, an accidental ~8200 mile OCI, down to the now routine severe service 3,750 mile interval.

I've consumed a minimum of 2 quarts between oil changes with my manual transmission Subaru XV Crosstrek.
Some weeks ago, I had completed the engine oil consumption test on my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5MT and failed the test. I still have a free loaner 2016 Crosstrek Limited w/ Eyesight to use while I await a new updated engine to arrive and get installed.

Do NOT hesitate to consider getting an engine oil consumption test done if your Crosstrek is below 98,000 miles. Although the inconvenience of not having my personal XV Crosstrek is a bit annoying, at least my local Subaru dealer was kind enough to loan me that 2016 Crosstrek I mentioned previously.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
My OCI varied from the factory 7,500 mile optimal conditions interval, an accidental ~8200 mile OCI, down to the now routine severe service 3,750 mile interval.

I've consumed a minimum of 2 quarts between oil changes with my manual transmission Subaru XV Crosstrek.
Some weeks ago, I had completed the engine oil consumption test on my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5MT and failed the test. I still have a free loaner 2016 Crosstrek Limited w/ Eyesight to use while I await a new updated engine to arrive and get installed.

Do NOT hesitate to consider getting an engine oil consumption test done if your Crosstrek is below 98,000 miles. Although the inconvenience of not having my personal XV Crosstrek is a bit annoying, at least my local Subaru dealer was kind enough to loan me that 2016 Crosstrek I mentioned previously.

AWDfreak

I burn about a quart of oil in between regular 5,000 mile oil changes. I have brought my 13' in twice to the dealer and all they say is that it is normal for it to burn a quart at high mileage.They have done the consumption test once. Subaru is the only car i've ever owned that has oil consumption issues and its "normal". So did they cover the cost of the updated engine?
Sarahannb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #9
R P

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Limited w/EyeSight

My past 3 Subaru's all burned some oil, about a quart between oil changes. But they also went to high mileage (360K kms the last one) still runing perfectly. My new 2018 Crosstrek, on the other hand, barely burns a drop between oil changes (10,000 kms), even with 0W-20 oil. Past ones used 5W-30 dyno oil.

So I think 1 qt in 5000 miles on an older version engine (2013) is still more than acceptable. You car should still last a long time, as long as you don't adversely abuse it in some way.
R P is offline   Reply With Quote