AC Compressor - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof
Default AC Compressor

Looking for some advice I guess for when I go to the dealer later this week.

I had my engine taken out in late December to repair an oil pan leak. It was winter, so I had no need to use my AC. When it finally started to warm up enough to use the AC in early March, I realized the AC would not get cold. Through some hassle with the dealership, it was discovered that the AC was not recharged after the last engine R&R. They recharged the system at that point and I went on my merry way.

Yesterday, while driving, the AC compressor starting making a horrendous squealing noise, but was still cooling. I'll be bringing my car in later this week to have them take a look at it. The 30k mile warranty is up, but do you think I have a case for them to replace the compressor?

My reasoning is that I keep the vehicle AC on AUTO and even with the heater on during the winter, it cycles the AC. It went roughly 2.5 months with no refrigerant/oil in the system and that caused premature failure on the compressor.

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Sounds like what may have happened. Please report back on the issue!
Old 04-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeytoe View Post
I had my engine taken out in late December to repair an oil pan leak... ...Through some hassle with the dealership, it was discovered that the AC was not recharged after the last engine R&R. They recharged the system at that point and I went on my merry way.
Whoever took your engine out for that first repair is liable for any damage to your A/C system. It's straightforward negligence on their part. (I'm not a lawyer but took Bus Law in college)

Having said that, if it was the dealer that did the original repairs then they should make it right. If another service station did the work they are still liable for the cost to repair the system. However you may need to hire a lawyer at some point if they try to weasel out of fixing your A/C.

Good luck! For what it's worth, you've clearly been wronged here and someone should make it right.
geost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

The engine work was done by the dealership as it was and still is under the 60k mile warranty. I dropped my car off at 8:30 and spoke with the mechanic about what happened. Hopefully I get an answer soon.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #5

Well, just got home from the dealer. They said the cause is that the evaporator is leaking and when the pressure is low, it causes the compressor to squeal.

I'm not sure I buy this because when it was empty before it never squealed and it was still cooling fine the day it started squealing on me. It didn't cool anymore the next day after it started squealing, but the high side line would get extremely hot. It also magically developed this leaking evaporator after the engine R&R as I've never had AC problems before then.

I also have the receipt from when they recharged it the first time, which clearly says "Could not detect a leak after recharge." They quoted me a price of $990 to fix and said my warranty was up. I'll be contacting Subaru of America shortly and see if they have any help to give. I'm completely clueless about lawyers and what to do if I go that route, so that is my last resort if everything else fails.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #6

Quote:
I also have the receipt from when they recharged it the first time, which clearly says "Could not detect a leak after recharge." They quoted me a price of $990 to fix and said my warranty was up. I'll be contacting Subaru of America shortly and see if they have any help to give. I'm completely clueless about lawyers and what to do if I go that route, so that is my last resort if everything else fails.
Since the dealership did all the work then contacting Subaru first is definitely the right move. They may be able to help out with the situation. Even if the leak is new it could very well still be a result of the original negligence on the dealer's part. Just make sure you're getting everything documented and keeping copies.

Sorry to hear the dealership is giving you grief on this instead of doing the right thing. Please keep us updated on. I for one want to know just how far Subaru will go to support their customers in a situation like this...
Old 04-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #7

You know... I may just say screw this all together... Subaru wants $350 for the evap core, but I can get an aftermarket core for $65 with a 2 year warranty. I'm looking at Youtube videos and it doesn't look all that complicated to do.

My system is already purged, so I could install and bring to a shop for recharge and be done with it. I just need the evap core and a few ounces of PAG oil. If Subaru and the dealership give me the run around, I may just wash my hands of them both.

Still waiting on SOA to get back to me, so we'll see.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:43 PM   #8

Quote:
You know... I may just say screw this all together... Subaru wants $350 for the evap core, but I can get an aftermarket core for $65 with a 2 year warranty. I'm looking at Youtube videos and it doesn't look all that complicated to do.

My system is already purged, so I could install and bring to a shop for recharge and be done with it. I just need the evap core and a few ounces of PAG oil. If Subaru and the dealership give me the run around, I may just wash my hands of them both.

Still waiting on SOA to get back to me, so we'll see.
If SOA lets you down and you choose not to pursue legal action that might be a good plan "B". Just keep in mind two things:

1. Once you do anything to that A/C system any claims of negligence against the dealership will likely be impossible to prove. All they need to do is say any damage is a result of your repair.

2. Things are not always as easy as they appear on YouTube, or anywhere else for that matter. For example, I just tried draining my Hot Water tank today using "easy" instructions from YouTube. Long story short, I ended up paying a plumber $200+ after the shutoff valve started to leak and a high pressure tank went bad. Sometimes when you start an "easy" repair or maintenance job good old Murphy (Murphy's Law) jumps in and gives you an expensive whammy!

Ultimately it's up to you what course of action to pursue. I think you have a legitimate claim against the dealership, and either they or Subaru should make it right. Then again, I'm not a lawyer and this is simply my opinion.

Either way I hope this works out for you in the end.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #9

My Vehicle: Hyper Blue 2016 Crosstrek

Quote:
. If Subaru and the dealership give me the run around, I may just wash my hands of them both.
They did that to me after I supposedly fried my ECM. After my car got fixed I caught the dealer trying to scam me, saying that after the new ECM was installed they were still having the same problem and then said they found a missing fuse which turned out to be the throttle relay. I yanked it out thinking it was a spare which caused the problem I was having, duplicated by myself the day after I got my car back. SOA gave me a run around for almost a month before I decided to say screw it; makes me feel like an idiot for buying that extended warranty.
PropWashHBXVSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

My Vehicle: Black 2015 XV

Why? Just WHY? ..do dealers have to be such scum buckets?

I had an uncle who years ago worked at a dealer, I remember him saying that there were months that sales didn't pull their share so they had to make things up in the service dept to make up revenue.
kurthb is offline   Reply With Quote