Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Access Key Not Detected

29K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  GoldieBelle 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2019 Crosstrek Limited with Eyesight. In the past week or so I have randomly gotten a "Access Key Not Detected" warning and I could not lock or unlock my car using either one of my key FOBS.
I can lock the vehicle with the key and the alarm and everything works. I can get in the car an start it so the battery in the FOB are OK.

I cannot predict when it will work o not and the dealer said they have never head of this before. I told the dealer to google "access key not detected" and they will get several hundred thousand hits and they did...seemingly to their surprise. They said no one ever complained to them.
Anyway, it is a issue with me and a problem particularly for my Wife. Has anyone had this occur? How have you resolved it? What was the problem?
TIA

EDIT, nothing works on the FOB's, lock, unlock, rear hatch opens, emergency but the little red LED that indicates signal being sent flashes when button is pushed.

it did not work last night but it works this morning?

See less See more
#5 ·
access key not detectec

The same just happened to me for the first time after a year driving my 2018 crosstrek limited with eyesight. Restarted car, shutoff and message went away. I am guessing the key fob signal was blocked or a new head unit update may have changed how the key fob is now detected.

#6 ·
The same just happened to me for the first time after a year driving my 2018 crosstrek limited with eyesight. Restarted car, shutoff and message went away. I am guessing the key fob signal was blocked or a new head unit update may have changed how the key fob is now detected.
Tried that numerous times. No effect at all. Still did not work.

All of the sudden it works...then yesterday, it stopped again. Then, last night, before I went to bed, without driving or starting the car, it worked.

Interesting about the head unit. I noticed yesterday that my AM and FM presets disappeared. I normally listen to XM but wanted the local sports on AM and all the presets were gone, except for XM.

#8 ·
UPDATE:
Got an appointment with the Dealer yesterday. I did take a video of it not working and even the key not working. It actually did not work while at the dealer and they saw it for themselves. They changed the battery in the FOB's. It works...for now.
They had no explanation. They had not idea why the emergency key did not work as it is not connected to the FOB function..

I think it may come back but, will have to wait and see.

I also told them about the presets disappearing on the radio and they said this has happened before but they also do not know why.

#10 ·
Update, to the Previous Update

Well, got a new (just one) key FOB. They said only one FOB and if that fixes it, then they will order another.
So, the new FOB worked for a week, then failed to lock the doors again. The old FOB did not work either. (took video to prove the faults)

Went back to the dealer and showed them the video and they took the car in he shop. This time they said the start button module antenna had corrosion on the connectors and they cleaned them (?). This should fix the problem, they said. Not sure how the start button module interacts with the lock function of the FOB but, that is all they are going to do....this time.
So, we will see how this works.

The saga continues :)

#11 ·
Sad to say but, whatever they did, it did not fix it. The FOB would not lock the door again. Went to the store, it worked. Went over to a buddies place, it would not work
Went back to the dealer, told them after 6 times, I am fed up. Take my car and fix it but I need a loaner. They will call me when they have a courtesy car available....

Thing is, am I the only one that has this problem? I was hoping that someone in the community has or had suffered with the same problems.

When I googled "Subaru Access Key is not detected" I get lots of hits but no one seems to have a fix.

#16 ·
If Canada has a lemon law like ours, you should look into it. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
I have had both FOBs battery changes and re-programed and replaced, no change.

There is no "lemon law" in Canada.

They had the car for 3 days but could not replicate the issue while on their lot. They said they called Subaru engineering and this problem has never come up before even though you can get a couple hundred thousand hits if you google the problem. I have videoed the problem to show them.

I have been on vacation the past 3 weeks and came back and yup, it still is a problem Will have to take it back....again.

#25 ·
I have a 2019 Crosstrek Limited with Eyesight. In the past week or so I have randomly gotten a "Access Key Not Detected" warning and I could not lock or unlock my car using either one of my key FOBS.
I can lock the vehicle with the key and the alarm and everything works. I can get in the car an start it so the battery in the FOB are OK.

I cannot predict when it will work o not and the dealer said they have never head of this before. I told the dealer to google "access key not detected" and they will get several hundred thousand hits and they did...seemingly to their surprise. They said no one ever complained to them.
Anyway, it is a issue with me and a problem particularly for my Wife. Has anyone had this occur? How have you resolved it? What was the problem?
TIA

EDIT, nothing works on the FOB's, lock, unlock, rear hatch opens, emergency but the little red LED that indicates signal being sent flashes when button is pushed.

it did not work last night but it works this morning?
So this happened to me. My crosstrek has power, both fob's have good batteries, still not pushing over to turn on. All of my doors were locked when attempting to power on the car. I unlocked all of the doors, and it worked. No idea how or why this would be an issue, but I guess try unlocking all of the doors and pushing it on. This is the second time I've come across this issue. Less than 30k on the car and I've had her since 2017 brand new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.