Android Auto/Starlink annoyences - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Limited
Default Android Auto/Starlink annoyences

okay so I am playing around with all the little features in this car. I have found that when I use Android Auto, while it will play music from my phone thru google play it doesnt really allow me to go in and choose what I want to listen to. It basically just plays whatever I had playing on the phone prior. For instance if the last thing I was listening to was Foo Fighters thats what it starts to play. I cant go in and see what else is on my phone if I want to listen to say Metallica.. I have tried using voice commands like Listen to Metallica or Play Metallica but when I do it just says here is Metallica radio. It then plays some Metallica but also other stuff in that vein. I dont think its actually pulling it from my phone. I have also tried saying Shuffle Music. However if I use the music app in Starlink I can actually see all the music files on my phone and choose which is what I want and I would use. But then the other issue is that I also use the Waze app for navigation and that is thru Android Auto. as soon as I switch that on, it cancels the starlink.

Am I doing something wrong or is that just life? Also the other thing that annoys me is that I cant seem to turn off the starlink app on my phone without going in and doing a force stop...any help would be appreciated....its very annoying

smfoley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Yea AA Google Music does not give the whole option layout to select song. I think they do that so its still "hands free" so you arnt playing with your phone or head unit while driving.

I typically just use voice commands. Ive found that the shuffle command seems to work well. "Ok Google, shuffle Foo Fighters".
Old 08-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #3

are you pushing the speech button on the steering wheel and then saying okay google or are you just saying ok google?
And if the intenet ws to not have me messing woiththe phone, it isnt working. I end up picking up my phone and opening the Play app on it to select a different artist or song
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #4

I am just saying it.

At times I say it louder than I normally would and speak towards wherever my phone is.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #5

I will try that next time I am in the car....
Old 09-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

is there anyway to use starlink to play music from my phone and also use Waze at the same time?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
I am just saying it.

At times I say it louder than I normally would and speak towards wherever my phone is.

I tried doing this as well, ok google listen xxxx or ok google play xxx and it always comes back with something along the lines of that artists is only available for subscribers but check out this xxx radio station.

Any idea why is it saying I need a subscriiption when the music Im looking for is on my phones SD card?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfoley1 View Post
I tried doing this as well, ok google listen xxxx or ok google play xxx and it always comes back with something along the lines of that artists is only available for subscribers but check out this xxx radio station.

Any idea why is it saying I need a subscriiption when the music Im looking for is on my phones SD card?
I dont believe it can be set to play local content.

I use Google Music as my primary app (I dont have a TON of local music though - over 70 GB) and do not pay for their subscription.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

Android Auto doesn't make it easy to use content that's NOT from Google...

I've not tried this but you may be able to find an AA app that plays local media content.

I use Amazon Music and that was tricky to get set up but it works (Amazon Music playing while navigating, etc.)
AstroKats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:43 AM   #10

I just say "Okay Google, open Google Play Music" and it plays whatever I was playing last time I used the app. Normally, that is the music ripped to my sd card.
Mamacash is offline   Reply With Quote