Brake lamp switch recall - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Default Brake lamp switch recall

I received a recall notice for my Crosstrek brake lamp switch. I contacted the service center at the dealership where I purchased this car and was told the first available appointment was almost a month away. This seems ridiculous to me as this is a safety issue. Has anyone else had an issue with getting a timely appointment to have a recall fixed?

Ganason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Keep in mind that there will probably be hundreds of vehicles needing this recall in your local area.

There is also a possibly supply issue. They might be waiting for more of the parts to arrive to get the recalls done.

Just another view to look at it.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:37 PM   #3

Takata airbags took years to process the recall. That was a Ďsafetyí issue,too. Supply couldnít keep up with demand.
Iím due for a normal service next week, Iíll ask if itís ready. Otherwise Iíll wait until it is. My lights are working fine at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #4

Default recall

The first appointment at my dealer was about 3 weeks out. My car had just kicked on warning lights so I removed the switch, cleaned out the grease and carbon, reinstalled. Warning lights went away but the codes were stored so the dealer could see. The repair at the dealer took about 15 minutes.
matt1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2019 Crosstrek Limited Dark Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayG View Post
Takata airbags took years to process the recall. That was a Ďsafetyí issue,too. Supply couldnít keep up with demand.
Iím due for a normal service next week, Iíll ask if itís ready. Otherwise Iíll wait until it is. My lights are working fine at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had the Takata airbag recall done on my Wrangler. It seems I was in the 4th wave of recall replacements. It was there for years before getting replaced. It's all about parts availability. The bigger the recall, the longer it takes for some people.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:01 AM   #6

Thanks Matt, So you're saying that your brake switch went bad and you were able to fix it until the dealer replaced it? Good to know.
Ganason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:20 AM   #7
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

More info on it courtesy of the NHTSA

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2014/S...UV/AWD#recalls

Quote:
February 28, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V149000
Brake Lights May Not Illuminate
Brake lights that do not illuminate properly will not alert other drivers that the vehicle is slowing or stopping, increasing the risk of crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V149000

Manufacturer Subaru of America, Inc.

Components EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Potential Number of Units Affected 1,303,530

Summary

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2014-2016 Forester, 2008-2016 Impreza sedans, 2012-2016 Impreza station wagons, 2008-2014 WRX sedans (including STI), and 2013-2017 Crosstrek vehicles. Exposure to certain contaminants may cause the brake light switch to malfunction, preventing the brake lights from illuminating and also preventing keyless ignition vehicles from starting and CVT/automatic transmissions from being able to be shifted out of Park.

Remedy

Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will replace the brake light switch, free of charge. The recall began April 15, 2019. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-800-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is WUE-90.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #8

My Vehicle: Silver '16 Crosstrek

there’s safety issues and there’s safety issues...

as i understand it, this is the switch only, and brakes themselves are not affected, only the brake lights. so as far as that is concerned, it’s no different than a burnt out brake light. and i’ve been rearended even with perfectly working brake lights.

the secondary issue is the abs and vehicle stability system, which might not activate. again, it’s related to safety, but you’re in no worse a situation than you would be in car before abs and vdc.

it’s good to know, and i’ll try to drive a little more carefully, but i don’t feel that it’s putting me in imminent danger, and it’ll get fixed in a couple of weeks. i’m glad to know that they’re looking out for me.
nielkmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Ltd - 2015 XV Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielkmot View Post
thereís safety issues and thereís safety issues...

as i understand it, this is the switch only, and brakes themselves are not affected, only the brake lights. so as far as that is concerned, itís no different than a burnt out brake light. and iíve been rearended even with perfectly working brake lights.

the secondary issue is the abs and vehicle stability system, which might not activate. again, itís related to safety, but youíre in no worse a situation than you would be in car before abs and vdc.

Yes and no. Keep in mind (and this is based on first hand experience), that with regards to a CVT Crosstrek, it is a little more complicated. I had my Crosstrek in for the recall work last week (my wife's was in the week before). I don't drive much anymore, so the first time I notice there was a problem (after the brake light switch replacement) was late at night a couple days ago. Went out to the garage and discovered my brake lights were on. Stomped on the brake pedal and they went out. But, the battery was discharged down to 71%. Put a charger on it. Throughout the next day, did spot checks and tests. It seems that numerous times when applying the brake pedal gently, the brake light would come on, but not go off. Figured that the pedal/stitch needed adjustment or the switch was faulty. Called to make an appointment to have it checked out and fixed.

Appointment was this AM. While driving there (about 25 miles from my home), I would periodically lose all throttle response (potentially dangerous depending on what you are doing at the time). Then the ABS/VDC/and hill holder lights came on. Car still losing throttle response at times. Got to the dealer and, as I figured, an adjustment was needed. Seems that there is a very narrow tolerance when setting the switch position. Just a little out of tolerance and this is the result.

So, it is just not about losing your tail lights or your ABS or VDC not being available.
d.r.h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:00 AM   #10
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielkmot View Post
thereís safety issues and thereís safety issues...

as i understand it, this is the switch only, and brakes themselves are not affected, only the brake lights. so as far as that is concerned, itís no different than a burnt out brake light. and iíve been rearended even with perfectly working brake lights.

the secondary issue is the abs and vehicle stability system, which might not activate. again, itís related to safety, but youíre in no worse a situation than you would be in car before abs and vdc.

itís good to know, and iíll try to drive a little more carefully, but i donít feel that itís putting me in imminent danger, and itíll get fixed in a couple of weeks. iím glad to know that theyíre looking out for me.
You may have forgotten that the switch also affects the Subaru EyeSight driver assistance system.

So users who have their vehicles affected by this recall and have Subaru EyeSight equipped, should consider the negative effect of this brake switch to be of a more-urgent issue.

Tags
brake lamp switch, crosstrek, dealer, service