Distance Per Tank Dropped 100 miles - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 AM   #1

My Vehicle: '13 Crosstrek XV
Question Distance Per Tank Dropped 100 miles

So here is the situation:

2013 Crosstrek xv Premium

When i fuel up my tank, the Center console "distance to empty" now reads 270. In the past i would get numbers as high as 400. Also when i drive to almost empty i only get about 260 miles. Use to get 350+ easy. This drop was very abrupt. I have refueled a few times so i know its not a bad batch of gas. I cleaned the Air filter, cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor, and even got the tires rotated, nothing has changed it. I'm due for a oil change soon but I don't think that would have a dramatic effect on gas mileage. I have about 49,750 miles on it. Need ideas where to look and go from here.

Please ask any questions that you need for extra info.

Thanks

eclemente is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

When you got your tires rotated, did they air them up? Do you know what PSI they are set to?

Could be a vast number of things.
-Injector(s) going bad
-Fuel leak (rails, injector, line, pump, etc)
-vacuum leak
-etc
-etc
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

The air pressure is correct. Even checked and filled them again just in case. I don't have any leak and the gauges all are equal.

I've heard about BG44K, is that something that might help this? Cleans out the gunk and crap that's inside. I guess maybe at the 50,000 i'll have them check everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight

Have them check for any DTC's. (Diagnostic Trouble Codes.)
Old 12-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclemente View Post
The air pressure is correct. Even checked and filled them again just in case. I don't have any leak and the gauges all are equal.

I've heard about BG44K, is that something that might help this? Cleans out the gunk and crap that's inside. I guess maybe at the 50,000 i'll have them check everything.
You might have a leak and not even know it. Just saying.

On my 2002 WRX, one of the fuel rails randomly started leaking. There was a pin-hole leak that was dumping fuel onto the engine block. Never enough to leak onto the ground though.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #6

Reset your tripometer. No kidding. Reset it and report back.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #7

Not sure where you live so I’m not sure if you are affected by winter gas and also warming up your car before you leave or while you scrape ice off windows.
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Not sure where you live so Iím not sure if you are affected by winter gas and also warming up your car before you leave or while you scrape ice off windows.
I live on the boarder of NYC. I use Top Tier gas at Shell. Fuel estimate does not fall. In the old way i would fill up and it might "guess" 380 Mile to empty. As a would drive it would hold at that number for a while then when the fuel got used it would lower and so on. No it just gives a number like 270 and then drops from there but at a rate that is equal to what i am actually driving. This started before the snow so that has no bearing on it as per warming up the car. Its get in, start up and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarust View Post
Reset your tripometer. No kidding. Reset it and report back.
I reset every fill up already, the mileage as stated in OP is still holding true. On one hand it is accurate in its assessment of DTE. The other hand something somewhere is off. Wanted to see if anyone else had this happen and knew of a part that might be faulty, like a MAS or a fuel sensor, you know anything really.

I think Advanced Auto parts does a free codes check. maybe if i can get over i'll have them just check things out. couldn't hurt.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2018 Subaru Crosstrek, Sunshine Orange
Default Mileage

I have an 18 Crosstrek limited I bought in August. Right before Christmas in PA, the weather got really cold for almost three weeks. Anyway, my mileage of 26 or so for short trips to work over a small mountain was fine. But when it got really cold, my screen was reading about 18 mpg. I was filling up every week and burning through a half of tank of gas. Anybody else have the same issue?
jmen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #10
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Unfortunately, cold weather and low MPG are things that often do accompany each other. It's especially worse when driving with a cold engine.

Tags
drop, fuel