Driver power window goes up intermittently in 1 inch intervals - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 AM   #1

Default Driver power window goes up intermittently in 1 inch intervals

Hello all.

First off, I apologize in advance if this post is not within protocol. I posted the same question to a different Crosstrek forum. I'm posting to this forum as well, as I'm desperate for some help. I'm hoping maybe there may be an active member here who may be able to help me.

A couple weeks ago I disconnected the battery to my 2017 Crosstrek. Upon reconnecting, the auto up/down feature had stopped working. I followed the re-initialize instructions on the manual and that worked.

However, two days ago I had the windows of my 2017 Crosstrek tinted. Then yesterday I pulled all 4 door panels to replace the speakers and install an amp. I also installed dynamat on the inner and outer door panels/skins. So the battery was disconnected again. However this time the auto up/down isn't working AND this time around when I pull the switch to raise the window, it only goes up in about one inch intervals. I have to keep pulling the up switch 10 times or so to get the window all the way up. Each "raise" of the window goes up the exact same amount - about 1 inch.

I've tried the re-initialize instructions but they aren't working this time.

Any ideas?

Here are the instructions I tried:
Close the driverís door.
Turn the ignition switch to the ďONĒ position.
Open the driverís side window halfway by pushing down the power window switch.
Pull up the power window switch and close the window completely. Continue pulling up the switch for approximately 1 second after the window is closed completely.
Open the driverís side window completely by fully pushing down the power windows switch.

davidcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Based on the symptoms, it's almost as if something is causing high mechanical resistance, activating the anti-entrapment feature.

Or, perhaps your model year XV Crosstrek has what's called CAN bus and installing the different parts has caused the network to act weird. If it does have CAN bus, only shops with the appropriate equipment (such as a dealership or large independent shop) will be able to do anything about it.

If your vehicle has Eyesight, there is a chance it does have CAN bus. I recall a member changing their brake light bulbs to LED's only to find out the vehicle would NOT move with those bulbs installed. Stock-style bulbs installed cleared the problem.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Based on the symptoms, it's almost as if something is causing high mechanical resistance, activating the anti-entrapment feature.

Or, perhaps your model year XV Crosstrek has what's called CAN bus and installing the different parts has caused the network to act weird. If it does have CAN bus, only shops with the appropriate equipment (such as a dealership or large independent shop) will be able to do anything about it.

If your vehicle has Eyesight, there is a chance it does have CAN bus. I recall a member changing their brake light bulbs to LED's only to find out the vehicle would NOT move with those bulbs installed. Stock-style bulbs installed cleared the problem.
Thanks AWDfreak. One thought on your feedback: if it is a mechanical resistance and the anti-entrapment feature is being activated, wouldn't the window reverse down a bit after stopping its upward motion? (I believe it does this so that if something is caught in it, the object can be freed).

My Crosstrek does have Eyesight, and I did install an amp, however I have seen a lot of people on this forum installing amps with no issues.

But I'm starting to think you're right in that I may just need to take it to the dealership. Do you happen to know if they will deem this as being outside of the warranty (the car is 2 weeks old) and charge me for the inspection and ultimate fix? This is the first time I've owned a Subaru, so I don't know how lenient they are with these types of issues.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcom View Post
Thanks AWDfreak. One thought on your feedback: if it is a mechanical resistance and the anti-entrapment feature is being activated, wouldn't the window reverse down a bit after stopping its upward motion? (I believe it does this so that if something is caught in it, the object can be freed).

My Crosstrek does have Eyesight, and I did install an amp, however I have seen a lot of people on this forum installing amps with no issues.

But I'm starting to think you're right in that I may just need to take it to the dealership. Do you happen to know if they will deem this as being outside of the warranty (the car is 2 weeks old) and charge me for the inspection and ultimate fix? This is the first time I've owned a Subaru, so I don't know how lenient they are with these types of issues.

Thanks again.
You are indeed correct on the normal operation of the anti-entrapment feature. I forgot about how it rolls back down after a certain amperage is hit.

I am not so sure. Technically, they would have to prove that your modifications void the warranty. Aftermarket parts may be used (which some parts would be legal depending upon your local area's laws and regulations). For example, an aftermarket air filter wouldn't void the warranty unless there is actual evidence that only specific parts are allowed, but that would require the manufacturer to provide such warranty-required specific parts for free.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #5

Hello all. I've taken my Crosstrek into the dealership. They came back letting me know that the harness plug that connects to the door panel window buttons was damaged during either the stereo install or the window tinting install. They are saying the cost to replace it is $450 (ugh). I don't yet have the break-down between parts and labor. Has anyone ever replaced this harness plug? I'm wondering if I would be better off ordering the harness and replacing it myself. Can something like this be ordered online somewhere, with maybe install instructions?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2018 Limited

Being new to this forum, does this site have any parts sponsors you can reach out to.
If so, you could inquire with them about the cost of the harness and the difficulty of replacing. Also ask if any special tools are required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestion Becks. Can anyone recommend a parts supplier that would have something like this available for purchase?
Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #8
Site Team

As far as I'm aware, we currently do not have any active vendors on the site at the moment.

As for parts supplier, I use Subaru's parts website which actually ships from your local participating Subaru dealer.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #9

Thanks for the input AWDfreak.

An update on this -> here's the email I received from the subaru service rep:
Per our conversation, the red wire on the right of the harness is loose due to the pin inside the connector being broken. The only way to repair this would be replace the connector which comes with the harness. Let me know what you decide. Thank you for your time and cooperation with this matter.
I've attached a pic of the plug that he sent (although it doesn't show the broken pin).

Any chance someone could help me locate this harness plug on the OEM Subaru Parts Online | Subaru of America website? I had a look but am not sure the best way to search for that piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0620.JPG (80.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-17-2017, 03:17 AM   #10
Site Team

I looked and I found a connector.

It doesn't look like your connector, unfortunately. I tried searching the parts database using the search word "connector" (without quotes) and could not find that harness plug on the site. I also searched "plug" (without quotes) and could not find it.