Extended service oil change - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2015 Silk Blue XV Crosstrek Premium, MT
Smile Extended service oil change

Ok before we get started, the disclaimer; I, in no way, suggest or recommend this maintenance schedule as everyone has different driving habits and not everyone considers this 'normal driving'. That being said, let's go.
For the first 45k miles I followed the proper break in procedures and followed the recommended 6k oil change. At 45k I switched to Mobile 1 extended service oil along with an extended service oil filter (not an endorsement), ran 8k then sent a sample for analysis. The results were excellent and the recommendation was that I push the next change to 10k. I just recieved the latest results and they to were excellent, in fact, better than expected even for a 6k change. The recommendation is, once again, to push the next change out to 12k. At 12k I will send another sample and post the results here.
To clarify, my driving is not normal and many would say insane. The reason I am doing this is because I average 4k miles a week, that is 800 miles a night/5 days a week. So, a 6k oil change requires.that I change my oil every 1-1/2 weeks, kinda crazy and time consuming. If I can push my oil changes out to 12k/3 weeks, then I save time, reduce expences and cut the amount of waste oil/filters by half.
Realize that I am only doing this while continuously monitoring the condition of my engine. The lab report stated that they were pleasantly suprised at the excellent condition of this engine and the oil so in no way am I sacrificing the longevity of my engine. As of today my odometer past 70,000 and I have had zero issues.

Wolverine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

You are literally the only mega-commuter that's beaten my old commute mileage!

What extended mileage engine oil filter are you running so far?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
You are literally the only mega-commuter that's beaten my old commute mileage!

What extended mileage engine oil filter are you running so far?
I was going to use the Mobile1 oil filter but I have found that more than half the time, I can't find anyone that has them in stock. I am using the Fram XG7317 ultra synthetic oil filter. It's good for 15,000 miles and readily available. I have heard many people bad mouth Fram and I'm not sure why. I have always used Fram, including on my 2011 Ford Fiesta that currently has 742,000 'original' miles on the odometer. It only uses 1 quart of oil every 8,000 miles and it's a daily driver. Can't argue with those kind of results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

I currently have a 2004 Mazda 3. It has 226k. I don't burn any oil, and average about 28mpg. I changed over to synthetic at 30 k. I have always used the gram extended filter, and averaged changes between 12-15k. I switched to Bosh filters for a while, as they discontinued the fram for my car for a while. I have been using Royal Purple regularly for several years. I also use restore and Zmax at every oil change. I swear by it, and am amazed that you add the Zmax to a full crank case with no issues. They say the molecular structure is smaller than oil, and soaks into the metal. It definitely smooths out the motor. Supplies usually run me about $70.00. Of course some self described car gurus would say why do you use additives? They usually site factory maintenance schedules, and claim additives are bogus. I would love to see what my motor looks like at a tear down, but not enough to actually do one. My mechanic wants to see how long the car will run. Rust will probably overtake it before the engine gives out. I'm planning on getting a Crosstrek in June. I will keep the Mazda indefinitely for a spare. I hope I have as much success with the Subie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #5

Default 12k oil change

Just got the latest oil analysis report back and it looks great. I extended my last oil change to 12,173 miles while still using an extended performance oil and synthetic filter and the results were great. 12k works for me because it means I can go 3 weeks between changes. As the report states, I could extend it further but, I'm happy with 12k.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Either you're easy on your oil (which wouldn't be a surprise with all that freeway driving) or the current oil you're running is excellent for extended oil change intervals! I don't wanna run more than 8000 miles since the TBN on the Idemitsu oil I ran was, although serviceable, kinda low past the factory 7500 mile regular oil change interval.

Since I've returned to mostly-urban driving, I'm considering going to the severe-duty oil change interval.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Either you're easy on your oil (which wouldn't be a surprise with all that freeway driving) or the current oil you're running is excellent for extended oil change intervals! I don't wanna run more than 8000 miles since the TBN on the Idemitsu oil I ran was, although serviceable, kinda low past the factory 7500 mile regular oil change interval.

Since I've returned to mostly-urban driving, I'm considering going to the severe-duty oil change interval.
I think it's a combination of highway driving, extended service oil and a great engine. I think everyone was suprised to see the TBN number as high as it was. I know I could go to 16k but I'm just not that comfortable with that. 12k is good with me. This engine seams to require adding about 3/4 quart of oil every 12k. That's amazing. What's scary is that Subaru states that adding 1 quart every 1,200 miles under extreme service is acceptable! I'd be a little more than slightly concerned if my engine did that.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Team

I think the highest levels of oil consumption I've experienced were around 1400-1800 miles per U.S. quart of oil consumed. Bear in mind that I have definitely beaten on my Subaru so although that is definitely high oil consumption, it is not technically abnormal for the conditions at hand.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

Definitely relative to your driving habits. Whereas I drive an extreme amount of miles, they're relatively all steady highway miles thus less strain on the engine. Lower oil consumption.
You may not drive an extreme amount of miles but may push yours a little harder so higher oil consumption.
So it sounds like many of the 'high oil consumption' complaints could be definitely contributed to driving habits.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
Definitely relative to your driving habits. Whereas I drive an extreme amount of miles, they're relatively all steady highway miles thus less strain on the engine. Lower oil consumption.
You may not drive an extreme amount of miles but may push yours a little harder so higher oil consumption.
So it sounds like many of the 'high oil consumption' complaints could be definitely contributed to driving habits.
I really feel like that bolded sentence is an often-overlooked factor.