Heated seats and blower motor - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #1

Default Heated seats and blower motor

I have a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek with 25000 miles. So I get into my Crosstrek yesterday and the blower isnt working at all. Also, the heated seats seam to be going on and off as it wills. I take it to the subaru dealership. The dealership confirms that the blower motor is dead. They order me a new one and it will be installed tomorrow under warranty.

Here's the part Im confused about: In the Past, whenever I turn on my heated seats, they stay hot until I turn them off. In fact, I usually have to turn them off because I get tired of the heat. But this morning they seemed to be heating up, then cooling down. When I told the dealership that the seats are getting hot and cool and hot and cool on their own, they told me that the seats are "self regulating" and will do that. Does anyone know if that is the case? I swear that my experience in the past is that the seats stay HOT until I turn them off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim_Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2017, 01:43 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Self-regulating? Only if in the "ON" position.

If the switch is in the "OFF" position, that's not normal at all for the heated seats to have the seat heater active.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

Hmmm, I interpreted Jim_Wheeler's description to say the seats were cooling and losing their heat while in the "ON" position as if the heater was intermittent.
It didn't sound to me like his seats were heating up on their own while the switch is still OFF, maybe he can clarify?

But still... if the seat heater is turned ON, in my experience the heat stays on consistently until I switch it off again. I'm not sure what the "self-regulating" feature means (implying some sort of thermostat?). They stay warm all the time from what I could tell here on my '16.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT (ISM)

In my '14 the heated seats are constant at the low setting but seem to be thermostatically controlled on high.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
jkj

My Vehicle: 18 Crosstrek

From a Forester group.
Heated seats cycle off and on (merged thread)
The owners manual provides very little info on how the heated seats are supposed to operate, so I asked SOA for a better explanation. Here is the info SOA sent me:

2014 Subaru Forester
Subaru vehicles generally have an operating range of 86 degrees F to 104 degrees F. The 2014 Forester seat heaters have a different operating range. The 2014 Forester seat heaters come on at 98.6 degrees F. and shut down at 109.4 Degrees F. Depending upon conditions such as interior cabin temperature, seat fabric and thickness, these temperature ranges are target ranges and may feel or read slightly different when checked by a technician.
The system uses 7 contact points on the seat cushion and 4 contact points on the seat back to keep the system within this operating range by utilizing two thermostats located within the seat elements. They are positioned so the customer cannot feel them when seated. See the attached illustration below for thermostat locations. The switch functions are not a high and low type system like those used in previous models. When the seat heater switch is put in the high position, the elements heat up and into the operating range as fast as possible. When the switch is placed in the low position, the same amount of heat is generated but at a slower rate to reach maximum temperature. Once the maximum temperature is reached, the elements shut off until they cool below operating range then cycle back on again. The switch stays illuminated whenever the system is in use
Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #6

The butt warmers work like this: high setting- they get very warm, but shut off to prevent injury (it’s in the owners manual, imagine that!) low setting- constantly on, is warm, but not nearly as warm as high setting.
TL;DR- use low setting for 24/7 butt warmness (aka- “swamp ass”
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
In my '14 the heated seats are constant at the low setting but seem to be thermostatically controlled on high.
Quoted for troof.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heated seats