Is winter mpg always this terrible? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #1

Default Is winter mpg always this terrible?

I got my 2014 xv premium (automatic) in April and started out with 30mpg with mixed driving. Then I got new tires, some sporty ones, and I've been at 28mpg with mixed driving. Okay, that's fine.

Suddenly, in December, we start getting sub-freezing weather. My last 2 tanks have been 23mpg with same driving as always. I feel like that's an alarming decrease, but before I freak out, I wanted to see if this is probably a common weather/winter fuel thing or if I should investigate further. I regularly check tire pressure (it's at the recommended psi on all 4) and do not seem to have an oil leak/burning oil.

Any ideas?

While you're at it, answer me this: what's your location, xv year/type, summer mpg, and winter mpg?

Thanks!

cnmne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 02:32 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight

Try blocking off your radiator. These rigs do seem to take a big hit with colder temps. Winter fuel, colder temps(takes longer to get to normal operating temp)winter tires. Winter sucks.
Location is the frozen north of Canada. I have the 2015 Limited. Summer mpg around 32, winter around 28 depending on ambient(50/50 city/highway). The wife's 2016 Sport all city driving about 23 mpg
Old 12-14-2017, 02:46 AM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

If you normally have short-trips as your commute, that may be exacerbating the cold-weather issue.

Cogen Man's recommendation sounds like a good idea to keep the engine warm and maximize fuel efficiency.
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

How does one... block off a radiator? I have no idea what this means but I'll try whatever to improve my mpg.

Interesting that your wife gets 23 in all City driving... that's what I'm getting on highway/city mixed driving! Does she have the stock tires or winter ones? What kind of tires does your car have right now?
cnmne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmne View Post
How does one... block off a radiator? I have no idea what this means but I'll try whatever to improve my mpg.

Interesting that your wife gets 23 in all City driving... that's what I'm getting on highway/city mixed driving! Does she have the stock tires or winter ones? What kind of tires does your car have right now?
She has winter rubber on now. My winter tires are Nokian Hakkapiletta R2. I'm sure I spelt that wrong. The wife has Bridgestone Blizzak WS 80's.

To block off the rad you need a piece of plastic. You will need to cut it to fit the length and height of the rad. It goes in front of the rad in the engine bay. Some things may need to be removed first to gain access to the rad. Just Google "Blocking off rad in winter".
The wife has a short 2 miles commute to work. Thats why her mpg sucks. I told her she should walk to work. That got me a week in the dog house.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

Winter sucks. I used to wonder about it too.
Air coming in is denser so the maf will automatically make the mixture richer to match.
Air is also denser so the aero dynamic resistance is also at its greatest.
Winter fuel with methyl alcohol gas line anti freeze has a lower energy content and is suceptable to water saturation.
But it contributes to a massive reduction in winter tail pipe emissions.

I always thought an in take air warmer might work but then I also realized that aerodynamics are also an issue.
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #7

One thing I'm going to try is regular gas especially in the winter time. The lower octane should burn more readily?
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruplatt View Post
One thing I'm going to try is regular gas especially in the winter time. The lower octane should burn more readily?
That's all I ever use winter and summer. 87 octane.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:25 AM   #9
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruplatt View Post
Wait, why are you spending money on higher octane in the first place when our vehicles only need 87 AKI gasoline?