Left rear area drive noise - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Default Left rear area drive noise

hello all,
I have a '13 with 55,000 miles.
on a trip home from vacation I noticed a noise coming from the left rear tire area of the car. the best way to describe the noise is a "Whirring" noise, not quite a "grinding" noise and similar to an exhaust growl... almost like the noise some tires make on certain pavement types but this happens on all pavement types.
it seems to start around 20mph and gets a bit louder with acceleration up to about 40mph where the volume tops out. the noise changes with speed so I am assuming it is some rotating part.
I thought it may be the loud POS Yokahama tires I have on it but I rotated the tires and the noise stayed in the left rear.
I checked the CV boots and they are not ripped
I checked for "hot spots" immediately after driving and didn't find anything unusual (different from the other side)
Anyone experience this problem before?
thanks for the input.

Chappy444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Sounds odd. A whir noise may imply something drivetrain related... Perhaps a wheel bearing, but the only way to find out is to actually have a technician inspect it.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 crosstrek

I have 57000 on my 13' and have the same noise. It started at like 48000 miles. I took mine to the dealer thinking wheel bearing. Was told it was just tire noise, that they used a scope and the bearings were fine.

Just over 6000 miles later, and a new set of tires the noise is still there. It's going back to the dealer on Thursday. (As it destroyed my tires in the last 6000 miles) so we'll see if they can figure it out.
Stormtrooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #4

Ugh. So I dropped mine off today. Hoping to get the noise fixed. Service advisor tells me since I have the gold extended warranty *if* it's a wheel bearing I'll have a $100 deductible....

Yeah. No I won't dude. Subaru covers it to 60,000.
Also. *if* it's a wheel bearing it's you guys who screwed up. So it's not me who will be paying any deductible.

So far they've had the car for 4 hrs. And I've heard nothing from them.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

They called. "Oh it's the wheel bearing making that noise, it was pretty easy to diagnose. "

Really? Because 8,000 miles ago you told me it was nothing but tire noise! That you have even used a scope and could find no noise or problem!

Any my tire issue is being blamed on an alignment. They claim the tech can tell just by the wheel. Ok. So where was this tech when I had the car checked out 6,000 miles ago? Or all the other times I've had service???

I think I've totally lost trust in this dealers service department. I live smack dab in the middle between 2 unrelated subar dealers. I guess I'll be taking my service business the other direction from now on.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

Just got mine back...it was the wheel bearing. Of course they mucked up the backing plate either taking it off the axel or trying to get the bearing out...and didn't have one in stock so they kept it over night. Gave me a rental, all covered under warranty...no out of pocket costs.
Chappy444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #7

Just got mine back as well. It's amazingly silent.

They did try to get me to pay the deductible on my extended warranty with a "well there's nothing we can do on the deductible" to which I countered uh yeah there is. Since Subaru covers it to 60000 miles.

They also did an alignment and comped me on that due to my complaints, as they should have caught/done/suggested that earlier.

I also had a loaner for the night. I only ended up paying to top the gas off, as I put almost 100 miles on the thing.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Jeez, the experience you've gotten from that service department is a little bit off-putting.

But I'm glad both of you were able to both find out the root cause (bad wheel bearing) as well as get it properly resolved.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

My Crosstrek has 63000 miles on it and has the same issue. Took it to one dealer that said the car was 'operating normally'. Took it to another dealer 2 days later and they said the problem is both rear wheel bearings are bad.

My history on this forum will show that I'm really not a fan of this car (or Subaru any longer) and the only reason I still have it is that my company is paying for 3/4 of the purchase price. This is the second Subaru I've owned (from new) that has begun having issues at 60K mark. I think that back when Subaru was niche vehicle with a small but loyal following their QC was much higher. Their vehicles were virtually 'bulletproof' and they stood head and shoulders above comparable manufacturers like Honda and Toyota. Now that they have become more popular and mainstream, I think they have had to ramp up production and their QC has fallen to the point where they are simply on par with H and T. Still good but nowhere near what they once were.
CTCrosstrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #10

I love the crosstrek. But the experience I've had with it and the dealership and some repairs, I seriously considered trading it off for a Toyota RAV4 or highlander.

Right now I'm keeping it. But at this point I'm not sure if it will be staying around the entire life of the loan.