Lock-up solenoid problem? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-28-2017, 11:40 PM   #1

Default Lock-up solenoid problem?

Hi, I have a 2013 Crosstrek with 52000 miles. Yesterday I was driving on a country road, slowing down to approach an intersection when many lights came on my dash: 1) check engine light (solid, not blinking), 2) at oil temperature (or something like that), 3) ABS, 4) car shown on an incline, 5) car with wiggly lines out the back - I see this momentarily when car has slid a little, 6) a round icon just to the right of the P (for Park - after I stopped). I pulled over immediately and called Subaru Roadside Assistance and asked that they connect me with my local dealer. Went there and the guy said it was the lock-up solenoid (not sure if that was a 100% sure diagnosis). He said if the lights came on again, I should bring it in. I was going on a trip the next day but was advised against it but they said I could drive it. They stopped the lights from coming on. I believe they said repair would be covered under my drive train warranty. I'm a senior woman who drives at night once a week. I do not want to be driving around wondering when lights are going to come on again. Do the lights have to come on again in order for them to correctly diagnose it? I really want to stop in the dealership and ask that it be fixed ASAP. What is your take on this? Thank you.

Longtimespinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 01:11 AM   #2

Those lights surely indicate a failure. A code does not come up for no reason, and when something fails, it doesn't "magically" fix itself. 100% guarantee your issue will return. I don't know why the dealer didn't investigate further or replace the failed component. I know you said you are older, typically you folks drive with more common sense than us rowdy kids. I would take the car out to the highway nearby and "blow out the cobwebs" so to speak. If something's going to break, you WANT it to occur during warranty.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:44 AM   #3

Hi, Thank you very much for your response. I drove the car about 44 miles today, about 20 miles on a highway and no lights came on. I will contact the service manager bright and early Tuesday morning and ask whether it was definitely determined that it was the lock-up solenoid that was to blame for the code and to say that I want to make an appointment to have it replaced. If they give me an argument I will ask if they would want their mother to be driving around with a car in this condition.

Do you happen to know how many miles the drive train warranty is good for? I don't know if this information is included in the driver's manual. I will check it out in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarust View Post
Those lights surely indicate a failure. A code does not come up for no reason, and when something fails, it doesn't "magically" fix itself. 100% guarantee your issue will return. I don't know why the dealer didn't investigate further or replace the failed component. I know you said you are older, typically you folks drive with more common sense than us rowdy kids. I would take the car out to the highway nearby and "blow out the cobwebs" so to speak. If something's going to break, you WANT it to occur during warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 05:46 AM   #4

5yrs/60k on the power train. 3yrs/36k bumper to bumper.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarust View Post
5yrs/60k on the power train. 3yrs/36k bumper to bumper.
Thanks! That's very good to know. Does the dealership get paid by Subaru for warranty work they perform; i.e., when they don't get paid by the car owner? If not, perhaps they are trying to avoid service work for which they would not be getting paid. Hmmmmmm.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #6

Yes, any work on your car will be paid. Does not matter which subaru dealer you bring your car in. The money goes into the tech and dealer is the money from Subaru corp, if your car still in the warranty. If not then it's your money. One way or another, if the tech do the work, they will get paid.

So, you don't have to worry about if the tech/dealer will get paid or not. What you should worry is whether the issue going to get fixed before the warranty expired or not. Because if it resurface after the 5 year/60k miles (which ever come first), you will have to shell out $$$ to fix the issue.
nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:22 AM   #7

Hi, Thanks for your response. The lights came on the Friday of the Memorial Day weekend. I was not happy with the service guy's response (they turned off the lights and did a diagnostics). I thought that he said it was the lock-up solenoid. But I called the Service Manager the next Tuesday. She said it was some sort of general code. I didn't get anywhere with her. I'm not sure but I think I've put on more than 1500 miles since that happened (including a lot of highway mileage) and no lights have come on since and the car has been running fine. My next maintenance visit is at about 58,000 miles (really the major 60,000 maintenance visit) because I came in early for the previous maintenance. That will probably happen in Sept. or October. Evidently there is nothing I can do until the lights come back on. Is there anybody at Subaru I can complain to? I want to stay friends with this dealership because the only other one close by has gotten bad reviews on the dealerrater site. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Tags
lock up solenoid