May Be Getting Screwed Here - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-02-2016, 04:40 AM   #1

My Vehicle: Hyper Blue 2016 Crosstrek
Default May Be Getting Screwed Here

So I took my 2016 to the shop a few days ago after it went into limp mode and I think they're trying to shaft me out of warranty repairs. Long story short, a burned out turn signal bulb kept tripping the fuse for the hazards. I had to remove the air intake box to get to the bulb and when I put everything back together the CEL came on followed by limp mode and the TCS light.

I towed the car to the shop and they're trying to say I connected the two battery terminals with a wrench, which never happened, which shorted the battery and fried the ECM. The CEL was from an O2 sensor on the air intake which somehow was removed. As far as I know the battery should be fine since the car was able to start and apparently from what I've read the ECM should be fine for the same reason. Supposedly if the ECM was fried the car would also not be able to start.

So I'm here asking what you guys think. I have not a clue exactly what the ECM does since I've never encountered this before.

PropWashHBXVSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #2

Gotta be honest; the whole story sounds strange. Never heard of a burnt out bulb tripping a fuse for the hazards. Was the bulb OEM or aftermarket? How do you know it was the bulb that was blowing the fuse? Also what does changing out a bulb on the passenger side have to do with the battery terminals on the opposite side? Did you disconnect the battery terminals? Also with the O2 sensor coming off, it sounds like more than the front side of the air box was removed.

The ECM is computer brains for the vehicle.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #3

For them to deny warranty they have to prove you caused it. It sounds like they suspect something is off... Which to be honest your story doesn't seem entirely plausible even if it happened exactly like you say.

If they tell you it won't be covered just call subaru and file a claim.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Soloz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #4

It was an LED bulb that blew the fuse but ai swapped it back to stock and was having the same problem. The airbox was the only thing I removed and disconnected the negative battery terminal. The cover for the positive end was never removed so there's no way I possibly could have hit the terminal with anything.

The O2 sensor they're going to warranty if it is bad but the ECM is what they won't warranty. I'm trying to figure out how an ECM can fry by changing a bulb. I've had LEDs blow fuses on previous cars without damaging any other component on the car, so this whole situation isn't making any sense.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:04 AM   #5

Blowing a fuse is meant to protect electrical components. So if the fuse is blown, how could the ECU have been damaged? The ECU was fried by some other means.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Blowing a fuse is meant to protect electrical components. So if the fuse is blown, how could the ECU have been damaged? The ECU was fried by some other means.
Sure as hell was by other means, in fact it wasn't even fried. They put the new ECM in but the same problem was occurring. Turns out there's a stack of fuses by my left knee and I yanked one out thinking it was a spare. Whatever fuse it was corrected the issue after it was replaced. Currently talking to SOA to get the shop to remove the cost for a new battery and the ECM, since neither of them were bad.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

So you pulled this fuse thinking it was a spare to replace the one blown by the LED signal? Probably an innocent mistake. But that fuse caused the car to go into limp mode.

So two things here IMHO...

1. SOA's mechanics have no way of diagnosing this other than replace the ECM? Yikes.

2. Maybe leave the electrical system of your brand new investment alone. At least until the warranty is up. I say that having done many dumb things to the cars I have owned.

Ask me about the B&M shift controller I put in a 2002 Chevy Blazer... because reasons.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropWashHBXVSTi View Post
Sure as hell was by other means, in fact it wasn't even fried. They put the new ECM in but the same problem was occurring. Turns out there's a stack of fuses by my left knee and I yanked one out thinking it was a spare. Whatever fuse it was corrected the issue after it was replaced. Currently talking to SOA to get the shop to remove the cost for a new battery and the ECM, since neither of them were bad.
Two things; One, I'm glad you were able to find the cause and that it was a simple easy fix. Second, not good for the dealer to replace the battery and ECM for something they should have diagnosed in the first place. I would think they would have checked all the fuse boxes to be sure everything was okay before doing something as drastic as replacing the ECM. I'm surprised the dealer didn't offer to rebate the costs of the ECM and battery themselves.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Two things; One, I'm glad you were able to find the cause and that it was a simple easy fix. Second, not good for the dealer to replace the battery and ECM for something they should have diagnosed in the first place. I would think they would have checked all the fuse boxes to be sure everything was okay before doing something as drastic as replacing the ECM. I'm surprised the dealer didn't offer to rebate the costs of the ECM and battery themselves.
They said there were fuses that were "misplaced" but haven't told me which ones were misplaced nor did they tell me what amps they were. It's very odd hearing this after I was told all the fuses were checked and tested to ensure they were good. In either case I never pulled a fuse and replaced it with a different amperage. I may have pulled a fuse I thought was a spare, but never put a higher or lower fuse in it's place. To my knowledge a lower fuse blows the second there's any power to it, and a higher fuse sets the car on fire; obviously neither of which happened.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropWashHBXVSTi View Post
To my knowledge a lower fuse blows the second there's any power to it, and a higher fuse sets the car on fire; obviously neither of which happened.

Not really the way things work 99% of the time.
Sparky_of_SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote