More Lights Than a Christmas Tree - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Premium
Angry More Lights Than a Christmas Tree

Hey. Recently clocked 70k on my wife's 2013 without a single issue. Then; 2 in less than a month. Already entered a thread about the "hammering" noise in the back when cornering. "Intermittent". Annoying. Y'all had many helpful hints, but no enchilada. Dealer doesn't know either. Now this: Driving along sedately...Warning lights galore come on! (Hill descent / Trac / ABS / Stability / A/T oil overheat (flashing)). Everything but CEL. Paddle shifts and Cruise Control out of business. Car runs and drives fine. (didn't even change mpg!) Disconnected battery overnight. No lights. Put it in Drive - Christmas again! Ghosts in the machine? What the hell! I thought these rigs were 'rugged'?

ZMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMAN1 View Post
Hey. Recently clocked 70k on my wife's 2013 without a single issue. Then; 2 in less than a month. Already entered a thread about the "hammering" noise in the back when cornering. "Intermittent". Annoying. Y'all had many helpful hints, but no enchilada. Dealer doesn't know either. Now this: Driving along sedately...Warning lights galore come on! (Hill descent / Trac / ABS / Stability / A/T oil overheat (flashing)). Everything but CEL. Paddle shifts and Cruise Control out of business. Car runs and drives fine. (didn't even change mpg!) Disconnected battery overnight. No lights. Put it in Drive - Christmas again! Ghosts in the machine? What the hell! I thought these rigs were 'rugged'?

Unfortunately, cars these days are so computerized, one small issue can cause a hell of a chain reaction. And without the proper computers (which few can afford), you're stuck taking it to the dealership. I put an LED bulb in the cargo light, and now my cargo light doesn't shut off unless I manually turn it off. Before, I could leave it on and closing the hatch would fade it out.

The fact that it lights up when you shift into Drive tells me it's a TCM issue. So I'd take it to the dealer, and they'll likely read the TCM and look for faults there.

You also have to remember that there is no such thing as a perfect car. I had a Ford Fiesta that would make you cringe, while others got hundreds of thousands of problem free miles. Now my Crosstrek is at 100k and I've had no real issues. And I've beat the ever living hell out of it with long stints in the hot desert, rocky hill climbs, countless off road endeavors, etc. I've taken it on multiple trails that it should NOT have been able to make it through. So my Crosstrek has not only met, but exceeded it's "rugged" image.
RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Premium
Default Problems SOLVED. (Sort of)

Hey All! Thanks for the responses. Well; I didn't mean to sound like a curmudgeon concerning my wife's beloved CrossTrek. Yeah; being a Nissan employee for 25 years..sure; I'm brand prejudice. (although several models over the years had numerous, sometimes serious issues. Most having to do with "American" parts content..sad to say.) Anyway; my technical skill with Subaru has been limited to maintenance up till now. (most easily accomplished. Spark plug replacement? Bitchin'. But so are some Nissans.) And yeah; some items (particularly plastic ones) I find decidedly "cheap".(Example: driving slowly down a snowy road one morning, I drove through a 2' pile in my driveway. Not hard packed or even 'wet'. Front bumper "split" six inches up to the grille. Are you kidding? "Ronco" bumpers and fender liners!) Also; trim pieces 'warping' and falling off. Soup can heatshields, etc.) Not major. Rather proud of my diagnostic skills though. I was correct concerning my problems. After checking every possible "physical" scenario; I gave up and took it to her selling dealer. My feeling was: the 'knocking' noise that came from various wheels at various times had to be related to the all wheel drive system. (various wheels partially engaging when they weren't supposed to). When all the warning lights but CEL came on...BINGO! After 2 hours of computer analysis, the service advisor stated:
"Well; the problem is in the wiring harness. The repair will probably be lengthy and costly; but since the problem involves numerous safety systems; Subaru will pay for it. And since you have owned 4 Subarus prior to this one; the Service manager signed off on a loaner car. Here's the keys to 2017 Impreza. (500 miles on it). YESSSS! I take back whatever I said concerning Subaru customer care. Vic Bailey Subaru (Spartanburg S.C.) gets the highest rating I can give. Likewise Subaru Corporate. Still kind of surprised about the issue. One week later; no resolution. (my guess is they may have to replace the entire asymetrical harness and maybe even a module (TCM?) or two.) Probably Illinois parts. Just sayin'. Who cares? Rather have an Impreza anyway!
ZMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote