My girlfriend lost her last key ! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 PM  

Unhappy My girlfriend lost her last key !

When my girlfriend bought her brand new Crosstrek from the dealer last year she was given two keys, now she has lost her last key at her home somewhere and she is stranded at her house.

Read some horror stories about just how bad this situation is, like the one where the guy had to repo his crosstrek, this is a completely different situation in that she is the original owner.

Long story short her dealer wants to charge her 300 bucks - At least its not 3000 for new computers like some Subies dealer ask for and get .
Maybe because shes the original owner?

Plus, we live in a rural area 200 miles from the dealer, so thats a lot of towing costs. What a nightmare. I wish she could just find the key but its simply vanished.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 12:19 AM  
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by formygirlfriend View Post
When my girlfriend bought her brand new Crosstrek from the dealer last year she was given two keys, now she has lost her last key at her home somewhere and she is stranded at her house.

Read some horror stories about just how bad this situation is, like the one where the guy had to repo his crosstrek, this is a completely different situation in that she is the original owner.

Long story short her dealer wants to charge her 300 bucks - At least its not 3000 for new computers like some Subies dealer ask for and get .

Maybe because shes the original owner?

Plus, we live in a rural area 200 miles from the dealer, so thats a lot of towing costs. What a nightmare. I wish she could just find the key but its simply vanished.

Any advice?

$300 is actually pretty on par for what these keys go for. It's not just simply cutting a new key. The remote has to be programmed and the immobilizer synced up.

But she should have been given three keys. 2 keys with the remotes, and 1 "valet" key that's just the key, no remote. I always keep the spare valet key in my safe at home as a "just in case."

200 miles is a ton of towing costs. My suggestion would be to keep looking. It's got to be there somewhere. Remember, it's always in the last place you look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2016, 12:33 AM  
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2016 Subaru Crosstrek M/T dark metallic grey

When I purchased my Crosstrek this year I also received the third valet key. It also had a small metal tag on the keyring with a code that I believe is the code for remanufacturing a new set of keys. You may also be able to give your dealership the VIN number of your car and see if that can help them in assisting you. These keys are pricey.. Hope you just stumble upon the lost key soon before you have to drop the cash on a new set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 01:04 AM  

Cool Update

She found one of her lost keys and thankfully its one of the chip keys

So...

My question now is , what will the replacement cost be to get another chip key now that its not a computer issue ....

Still $ 300 ??
Old 08-19-2016, 01:10 AM  
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2016 Subaru Crosstrek M/T dark metallic grey

Glad to hear you were able to find one of the keys... Atleast now its not an emergency and you have a few more options. I would recommend giving the nearest dealership a call. I noticed on my key there is some ID codes on the back of the chipped key so maybe those will help Subaru in making you another set. I would imagine the price will probably be about the $300 range for the set of 3 keys. Hopefully it is cheaper but as mentioned all of these new keys are pricey.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:21 AM  
Site Team

The keys typically run $300 per key, including programming.

I did, however, find this company that seems to have great reviews.

http://www.northcoastkeyless.com/sho...788d-fwb1u811/

You'd have to have it programmed at the dealer, as I can't seem to find any DIY methods of programming. But $70 for the key and remote isn't bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2016, 01:52 AM  

get a tracker and put it in a leather pouch. The new ones re like the size of a quarter. Then get the app for your phone. When you loose your keys just look at your phone and it will guide you!
Old 08-19-2016, 09:04 AM  
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
When I purchased my Crosstrek this year I also received the third valet key. It also had a small metal tag on the keyring with a code that I believe is the code for remanufacturing a new set of keys. You may also be able to give your dealership the VIN number of your car and see if that can help them in assisting you. These keys are pricey.. Hope you just stumble upon the lost key soon before you have to drop the cash on a new set.
I made the mistake of throwing this away thinking it was simply a minor manufacturing piece that so happened to come with the keys...

Guess I should add that to a sticky, don't throw away the little metal piece that comes with your keys!