MY2014 CVT P000A - "A" Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 1 (CEL + VDC lights) - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > The Crosstrek Garage > General Maintenance & Troubleshooting

Old 03-10-2019, 03:57 AM   #1

My Vehicle: MY2014 XV Crosstrek Sport
Default MY2014 CVT P000A - "A" Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 1 (CEL + VDC lights)

Forenote: this story is halfway through, so I'll post an update immediately after the first post with my progress on this issue.

A couple buddies and I took a trip down island to Victoria, BC to check out some local breweries on Sunday Feb 24th, but upon starting the journey back my Ice Queen became sick. She wasn't flashing lights demanding I pull over, but she didn't feel as spunky as normal, barely being able to surpass 80km/h on the highway home.

Both the following lights came on, along with the typical blinking cruise control light, which happens whenever check engine lights up as far as I know:
  • Check Emissions Control System
  • Check Vehicle Dynamics Control System
  • She idles rough intermittently, more so when cold

I've got an ODB II reader, so I was able to pull codes, and it either looks okay or... Very, very bad. I'm seeing P000A "A" Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank which the internet has oodles of information about for MY2013's, but very little about MY2014's, probably because the Oil Control Valves were upgraded to newer models that year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just a camshaft sensor, or at the worst the OCV, but with it being 5 months out of warranty you can bet my luck it's the camshaft sprocket. Hopefully not, of course, but better prepare for the worst just in case the engine needs to come out or the front fender needs removal. Anyone else run into this type of issue with MY2014 Crosstreks?

Edit: While my father and I are quiet adept at regular maintenance, working on timing systems and electronics in these newer cars is not our forte. That and we don't have a lift or garage space to tinker, so it's at the car doctor for now. I'll keep you guys posted.

Update: Hot oil flush was completed, so I picked her up yesterday March 5th and drove home. Sounded fine and drove almost at full performance, but upon driving less than 100m down the street to work this morning, check engine and VDC lights are back on, rough idle is back, and it's got the same P000A code.

Mechanic wants me to drive it for a couple days, which makes sense to give it a chance to let the fresh oil flow through since the flush, but at this point I'm thinking it's either the cam sensor or OCV. Their scan for codes revealed the same P000A code, but also P0011 too.
  • P000A - "A" Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 1
  • P0011 - Camshaft Position 'A' Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 1
If anyone knows of good places to acquire the following parts in western Canada at prices lower than the dealership, let me know, as I might just replace the OCV myself. Will keep you posted.
  • OCV 10921AA231
  • O-ring 16677AA040
  • plastic ring 806944060

kirashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 03:58 AM   #2

Normally I don't double post, but this story was already in progress, so I wanted to keep it updated for you guys.

I drove to work on March 7th after warming her up. The idle was fine at intersections and acceleration / power felt normal on the highway getting up to 90km/h easily enough. Let it warm up before driving home, during which everything felt normal to me, but... Seems I was right about the issue not being fixed.

On March 8th the intermittently dropping idle after warm up was back, but not as bad as when the diagnostic lights were on before the oil flush. Acceleration / power was still good this morning, although seemed a bit more sluggish to respond after I depressed the pedal, but that could just be me overthinking.

Sitting at works parking, the idle was still dipping every so often after warming it up before the drive home, but there still weren't any diagnostic lights on and it drove home just fine. However, I decided to scan for codes using my BT ODB II reader again and found that the P000A code was in pending status, so that tells me the issue is not resolved.

I'm going out tonight so we'll see how it performs, but just thought I'd share progress here. Tempted to order 2x OCV's + the O-rings & plastic washers to replace the upper passenger side OCV & possibly then the drivers side, but we'll see.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:08 AM   #3

Long awaited update: After the last visit into the shop, we were able to determine it was the OCV itself by swapping it for the exhaust OCV on the same side, which caused the code to follow the OCV. This is a much better outcome than I had hoped for because if the P000A code had stayed after swapping OCVs, it would have meant taking apart the timing cover to check on the cam assembly & sprocket - aka much more money.

I received P000B (was originally exhibiting P000A prior to swapping the OCVs) after only 1 day of driving, called my mechanic who didn't even need me to spend his or my time bringing it into the shop again since I have a code reader, and he ordered up a new OCV for a cool sum of $145 CAD. (acquiring certain parts in Canada are a bit of... an expensive problem.) One last visit into the shop 5 days later, and voila - OCV was replaced and car feels back to normal again.

Er, well as normal as the Crosstrek's "broken" acceleration has always been - if I had the desire, time, and spare cash, I'd be tempted to have it tuned to remove the acceleration "lag" occurring between 0-10% acceleration pedal depression... maybe one day it will happen, but the other side of me is hoping that a WRX version is released in the next couple of years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

This is good news, and very helpful for those who have had the same OBD-II diagnostic code show up on their Subaru FB engine.

Thanks for sharing, and hopefully this issue won't be so widespread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirashi View Post
Long awaited update: After the last visit into the shop, we were able to determine it was the OCV itself by swapping it for the exhaust OCV on the same side, which caused the code to follow the OCV. This is a much better outcome than I had hoped for because if the P000A code had stayed after swapping OCVs, it would have meant taking apart the timing cover to check on the cam assembly & sprocket - aka much more money.

I received P000B (was originally exhibiting P000A prior to swapping the OCVs) after only 1 day of driving, called my mechanic who didn't even need me to spend his or my time bringing it into the shop again since I have a code reader, and he ordered up a new OCV for a cool sum of $145 CAD. (acquiring certain parts in Canada are a bit of... an expensive problem.) One last visit into the shop 5 days later, and voila - OCV was replaced and car feels back to normal again.

Er, well as normal as the Crosstrek's "broken" acceleration has always been - if I had the desire, time, and spare cash, I'd be tempted to have it tuned to remove the acceleration "lag" occurring between 0-10% acceleration pedal depression... maybe one day it will happen, but the other side of me is hoping that a WRX version is released in the next couple of years.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #5

Took me four trips to the dealership to resolve the same thing. That was two years ago. All's well since.
augustwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #6

Welp, we're not outta the doghouse yet guys & gals. Since I had the supposedly defective OCV replaced on March 20th she's been driving fine, however, just today I had a rough idle upon start / warm up, followed by a rough idle waiting at a stop light, then nothing further.

Specifically, she fired up to 1500-1800 rpm as usual, but then proceeded to rough idle in an upward direction, hitting 2000 rpm then dropping to 1800 rpm about 5 times in 30 seconds. At the stoplight it was the opposite, with her dipping to 450-500 rpm from 600 rpm while waiting.

When leaving Home Depot (we were picking up proper stainless steel hardware for the mudflaps I installed last fall as the hardware that came with them is... well, just a "little bit" rusty) she ran just fine, without any rough idle on startup or waiting at stoplights. Checked for pending fault codes and voila! P000A once again.

Going to call up the old mechanic tomorrow or Tuesday (since it's Easter Monday here in Canadia Land) and see where we go. Part of me wants to straight up use vacation time off work to diagnose this myself, but that's not really how I want to burn my vacation hours so... nope.

Tags
camshaft, idle, p000a, position, sensor