Need help with audio in 2017 Crosstrek - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #1

Default Need help with audio in 2017 Crosstrek

I had a 2014 Hybrid and used the audio system with no problem. When using bluetooth, I could listen to an audio book and get navigation through a maps app (Waze or any other) on my iPhone 6 at the same time. Seemless, Perfect.

Now in the 2017 Crosstrek, I'm having all kinds of trouble. My iPhone 6 pairs easily, but when using Bluetooth or USB connection, I cannot hear the maps directions while also listening to an audio book. Subaru Customer Service says the audio system doesn't have that capability. Really? That's a step down from the audio system in the older car then.

Others online have reported that setting up connectivity using voice commands takes care of quirky issues like this. I have not be able to get voice commands to work in this audio system. Again Subaru Customer Service said that voice commands are not available in this car other than to make a call or change a radio station.

I have deleted and repaired several times, using different passcodes (as suggested by Customer Service). I have done a 'factory reset' inside the audio system. Nothing has changed the problem.

My sales person has no idea about any of this and referred me to Service. The Service Manager said he didn't know either, but to make an appointment and they would play with it. So I have an appointment for next week. I'd love to get some ideas from the experts here.

Has anybody else had these kinds of problems, and how did you resolve them? Do I have to turn to the aftermarket to resolve this? What do I do about the rearview camera then that shares the same screen?

Thanks so much.

renatobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I had not attempted using a map navigation app such as Google Maps while listening to music on a Subaru Starlink infotainment-equipped model, so I can't say for sure if mine worked. Does yours have the factory navigation system?

Just like your 2014 Hybrid, my 2014 XV Crosstrek works with my map apps and music. However, when I hear the directions called out, they are very quiet. Do you happen to listen to your music quiet? If so, I would recommend try listening to it louder, drive and verify if the directions are called out to see if it's just quiet directions.

Another things to help diagnose the problem is to test it on another bluetooth audio device to see if the same problem persists. For example, drive around with the bluetooth audio connected to a bluetooth speaker in your car. If the problem persists with the bluetooth speaker, then perhaps that may isolate the problem with the mobile device itself.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the reply. I have the audio turned up pretty loud, just to hear over the road noise in the car cabin. When I went to Source one time and an untuned radio started to play, it blasted through the speakers.

In the hybrid, the (same) phone and system were paired, and I heard both the maps voice and the audiobook at the same volume level. In this car, the audio of the maps will come through about 5% of the time and the rest of the time cuts into the audiobook, but is silent. When I do hear the voice, I tried pausing the audiobook, but that cut the maps voice out, too, sadly. I don't know that I can tolerate turning up the audiobook volume much higher, but will try.

I don't understand what you mean by "For example, drive around with the bluetooth audio connected to a bluetooth speaker in your car." The phone's bluetooth audio is connected to the speaker in the car, and since the same phone worked beautifully in the hybrid last week, I genuinely don't think it's the phone. I did ask Apple, but they said it sounded like a car issue. I also can listen to both maps and the audiobook through the phone speakers with no issue. That's just not loud enough to hear over driving/road noise.

This is a Starlink-capable car, but the Limited does not have it connected. The car did not come with Navigation. But perhaps the problem is Starlink in some way...?

Wish someone knew how to pair with voice commands, which seems to fix audio quirks. I also wonder if there's another way to connect my iPhone to speakers, then I could just leave the horrible audio off.

Thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatobey View Post
Thanks so much for the reply. I have the audio turned up pretty loud, just to hear over the road noise in the car cabin. When I went to Source one time and an untuned radio started to play, it blasted through the speakers.

In the hybrid, the (same) phone and system were paired, and I heard both the maps voice and the audiobook at the same volume level. In this car, the audio of the maps will come through about 5% of the time and the rest of the time cuts into the audiobook, but is silent. When I do hear the voice, I tried pausing the audiobook, but that cut the maps voice out, too, sadly. I don't know that I can tolerate turning up the audiobook volume much higher, but will try.

I don't understand what you mean by "For example, drive around with the bluetooth audio connected to a bluetooth speaker in your car." The phone's bluetooth audio is connected to the speaker in the car, and since the same phone worked beautifully in the hybrid last week, I genuinely don't think it's the phone. I did ask Apple, but they said it sounded like a car issue. I also can listen to both maps and the audiobook through the phone speakers with no issue. That's just not loud enough to hear over driving/road noise.

This is a Starlink-capable car, but the Limited does not have it connected. The car did not come with Navigation. But perhaps the problem is Starlink in some way...?

Wish someone knew how to pair with voice commands, which seems to fix audio quirks. I also wonder if there's another way to connect my iPhone to speakers, then I could just leave the horrible audio off.

Thank you again!
What I mean is a separate portable bluetooth audio speaker, not the existing audio system in your vehicle.

Something like this:
https://braven.com/braven-brv-1-waterproof-bluetooth-speaker.html
https://www.braven.com/media/images/...BRV-1-IPX7.png

...to test if the problem persists with other bluetooth devices while it rides along inside the vehicle.

As for the Starlink headunit (lacking the Starlink app functionality), I can't say for sure, since it should function as normal as the previous audio headunit.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #5

Ah, yes, I see. This morning, just fed up, I ordered from Crutchfields a bluetooth visor speaker unit by JBL that will simply connect my phone to speakers. I'll leave the horrible audio off. Since the two programs play perfectly via my iphone speaker, I'm assuming it will work fine with the JBL speakers. Sad on a brand new car, but so be it since no one knows how to fix the problem.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek (Tangerine Orange Pearl)

I have determined that the sound system/radio in my 2015 just plain sucks. I love every single aspect of my Crosstrek EXCEPT the audio system. It is absolutely terrible. So no audio system complaints I see on here surprise me.

N6VHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #7

I feel ya! After days of frustration, this afternoon, it magically worked. Maybe Mercury has passed out of Retrograde or the Subaru gods and goddesses were tired of their joke...I hope it lasts...
Old 02-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2016 Hyper Blue Premium Crosstrek

I have not really had any issues with the Head unit playing my music or maps.
But some devices when playing spotify do not update the Head Unit screen with info.
My BlackBerry never updated, my Nextbit Robin updated the screen when I first got it, and not it doesn't. My gf's LG V20 and my daughters GS7 both update the screen with no issues. My buddies iphone does not update the screen either.

About a month ago, once in a while I will only get sound through the tweeters on the dash and not through the doors. I can usually turn the head unit off and back on and everything is fine.

Next oil change, I am going to speak with them about it. I currently have a 2016 premium. So I have the lower end Head unit.
xRuhRohx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #9

I only had a bad experience with my Starlink on my 2016 Wrx. I ended up cracking the screen because it was so worthless lol. I installed a Kenwood Navigation deck which is much better. When I traded in the Wrx I had the dealer swap over the stereos from the Wrx to the new Crosstrek. I did not even want to look at the stupid starlink piece of trash. LOL
krazymatt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #10

Verify the volume for that app on your device is turned up, if applicable. Or verify the music player volume on your device isn't so high that it drowns out the nav app volume.

Much has been written about the Subaru audio system and it's quirks. What works for one owner may not work for another. What works today may not work tomorrow.
StephenF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio problems