New Crosstrek with Rusty Exhaust? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #1

Default New Crosstrek with Rusty Exhaust?

Hi Folks,
I have a new 2017 Crosstrek with 185 miles on it. I looked underneath the vehicle and was surprised at how much rust there appears to be on the exhaust system. The muffler, the pipes and the clamps all have spots of rust all over. I was alarmed by this so I drove down the the dealership after hours and looked under several subaru models and found this was the case on all of them. I'm a little bit suprised by this.
Jim

Jim_Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Welcome to the club!

Unfortunately, many stock exhaust systems aren't of the best quality, especially when it comes to corrosion resistance. Mine in particular has had my local Subaru mechanic warning me not to drive off-road where there is water. I didn't take heed of his advice and my exhaust now has plenty of horrific surface rust on the exhaust.

Do note I've driven my XV Crosstrek off-road and through mud plenty of times. If you live in a salted-road state, you may want to consider periodically spraying the undercarriage to spray off rust-accelerating salt.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #3

If you are really concerned, you could always use a rustproofing paint on those parts? I'm sure there is product available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

I am also alarmed about the amount of rust on the exhaust components of my new Subaru. Very sub-standard when compared to my other vehicles that get used in the same environment. Painting won't work on surfaces where you've got big heating and cooling cycles except maybe on bracketry. Honestly it really is pathetic and we shouldn't make apologies for Subaru. My guess is that when the first exhaust leak appears the only way to fix it will be complete replacement after gas axe removal. Those nuts will be like little oxidized crumbling blobs...no exaggeration.
Khaki17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2018 Limited

Best preventative measure you can take (especially if you live in snow belts) is to get the under carriage washed frequently during the winter months. Road salt and ice melt solutions used by highway departments are brutal on cars undercarriages, exhaust systems, brake lines and other components.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #6

If the rust is present on a lot of the dealer vehicles, that means the rust occurred when in the shipping container, crossing the pacific. Not a big deal. It won't spread unless you keep it wet or salty.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks View Post
Best preventative measure you can take (especially if you live in snow belts) is to get the under carriage washed frequently during the winter months. Road salt and ice melt solutions used by highway departments are brutal on cars undercarriages, exhaust systems, brake lines and other components.
Yes, thanks Becks, I agree the liquid ice melt solutions are brutal on a car's under carriage. Washing can't really be accomplished easily when you arrive home in the dark after work and the garden hose is frozen. I think the point here is that my Subaru has deteriorated more in two months than my Ford Ranger has in six winters and more than my 31 year-old ex-military Land-Rover has done over a lifetime of neglect.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarust View Post
If the rust is present on a lot of the dealer vehicles, that means the rust occurred when in the shipping container, crossing the pacific. Not a big deal. It won't spread unless you keep it wet or salty.
Wet or salty conditions are a fact of life in the Pacific Northwest and Vancouver BC where I live, shipping container damage or not. So the deal is this, it's going to spread and apparently faster than on my other vehicles. Your mileage may vary.

I really like my Crosstrek but let's not pretend this is common on all cars.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:04 AM   #9

Default New Crosstrek with Rusty Exhaust?

I have never really inspected the undercarriage of any of my cars, but I'm sure some rust is to be expected. You have peaked my curiosity, and I will take a look. My last car was an 04 Mazda. It was eventually taken over by rust on the body panels, but the frame and exhaust were fine. I had it up until about 230 k. I've seen companies that do rust proofing, and they do treat undercarriages. The process has to be repeated in time. I'm in PA, and don't know if anyone in this area does it. I have seen a company near Canada that specializes. I'm sure with a little effort you could locate one. It would definitely give some piece of mind. This is obviously a big concern for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #10

Hi Butch, It's more of a disappointment than anything else. In my case I got behind the wheel of my new Crosstrek on the last day of 2016 and really loved my early morning, early evening commutes for the dark, cold and wet days of January and February. What a great little car, competent and sure footed.

At the beginning of March, I excitedly rolled under my Crosstrek to install my oddly named EcoHitch. Part of that exercise involves working around the exhaust and in my case opting to temporarily remove the muffler. This is when I noticed the premature corrosion. I read Jim Wheeler's post and wanted to share my experience. Again, mostly just disappointed.

Now with a generous helping of light pre-corrosion I'll be playing catchup with remedial rust protection I guess. Thanks for everyone's comments, Springtime is here in Vancouver BC, the Crocuses are appearing and the Highways department has stopped salting.😃