New XV compared to old. My 2019 & my 2015 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2019 Crosstrek Limited -Orange
Default New XV compared to old. My 2019 & my 2015

Well I’ve had my 2019 Limited with option pkg #23 for about 6 mos now.
And I would like to offer my 2 cents on the difference.

I LOVED my 2015. I LIKE my 2019 very much.

MY LIKES:
Appearance wise…I really like the exterior much better.
The interior is phenomenally better than the 2015! I got mine with the 2 toned leather grey/black seats. Combined with the orange stitching, it just looks fantastic! The 2 colour scheme door panels, along with the carbon-fibre-look inset panels just finish it off.

Technologically wise…night and day. Too numerous to get into, but the highlights for me are the LED headlamps that follow your steering, and the remote start-app for the phone

The car also seems to have a more solid feel when you go over bumps.

MY DISLIKES:
Transmission….The CVT freaking sucks! It is horrible! The CVT has a terrible feel to it. I really hate automatics, but the CVT is just a bad idea.
(It really pisses me off that the 5spd is not offered in the Limited! (Nor does it make sense.))
And paddle-shifters on a CVT? Don’t EVEN get me started on that joke.

The ride….I don’t know if I was just lucky with my 2015 5spd, but my ride was much smoother on the highway in my 2015 then in my 2019 is.
(But this is quieter than my 2015)

The lighting…I’m sorry, but this car is a 2019 model yr., yet we are still using some incandescent lamps?!?...the fog lights! It looks absolutely stupid having these great LED headlamps, only to be “polluted” by these incandescent fog lamps!
As for the interior? Map and cabin light only have the LED. Why be so ridiculous and not have the LED in the hatch? They are still using the same dim little incandescent lamp there that they used on my 2015 XV & 2011 Outback Sport. Same on the license plate lights. 

The power seat. It’s great! But why not have one for the passenger front? I mean come on…that’s kind of ridiculous and low-drawer.

The “winter weather package”….aughh. On my 2015 when I hit that defogger button, the back window, the windshield wipers, and the mirrors were clear of all condensation/ice in no time. In this 2019, the side view mirrors barely get clear. And the rear window takes forever.

Sound…..one of the smallest things, yet one of my BIGGEST pet peeves..the radio!!! There is no mute button on the steering wheel like my prior 2 Subaru’s had. You have to hit the “power” button to mute it. WHY take something away that we had before?!?! Now get this…and I’m not kidding…you can’t shut the radio off like a normal car. Yes, you use the “power” button, but you have to sit there and hold it for a bit until it goes off. Otherwise the only way to shut the radio off is by opening your car door!

One thing I am undecided about…..the Eyesight / interactive cruise control. I have to use it more in order to get a good, or bad, critique of it.

BUT…..overall I am enjoying the new car. I’ll be posting pics of her soon.

Thanks,
Keith

keithwceb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2018, 03:24 AM   #2

Believe me the eyesight works
On 2018 + eyesight 3 with better colour cameras. Stops sooner while able to be following further.

Keep your wipers newish and lots of washer fluid and it even works in storms.
If you turndown the “rebound” on the cruise to eco then you can also drive safely with fewer bars.
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwceb2 View Post
Transmission….The CVT freaking sucks! It is horrible! The CVT has a terrible feel to it. I really hate automatics, but the CVT is just a bad idea. And paddle-shifters on a CVT? Don’t EVEN get me started on that joke.
So being an automatic, in your mind the CVT already has 10 strikes against it right out of the gate. I personally like automatics. My CVT performs well AFTER the initial and short learning curve. I traded a 2014 Mustang GT 5.0 automatic for my Trek and quite frankly enjoyed it more than the CVT. And I am with you on the paddles. For my driving, what a waste! I'm just glad that they are mostly hidden and out of the way.

Quote:
You have to hit the “power” button to mute it. WHY take something away that we had before?!?! Now get this…and I’m not kidding…you can’t shut the radio off like a normal car. Yes, you use the “power” button, but you have to sit there and hold it for a bit until it goes off. Otherwise the only way to shut the radio off is by opening your car door!
To each his own on this one. I know what you're saying, but these features don't get under my skin in the least. By choice, my radio stays on from the time I crank it until I open the door to leave at trip's end. It's no problem for me to reach over and hit the volume button for mute.

Quote:
One thing I am undecided about…..the Eyesight / interactive cruise control. I have to use it more in order to get a good, or bad, critique of it.
I am sold on Eyesight and the adaptive cruise control (ACC). Once on a trip to Dallas I let those features control the car in moderate traffic from north Dallas to south Dallas (hwy 75 Central Expressway). All I did was steer. The car took care of the rest as far as following distance, lane change warnings etc. I'll admit tho' I was somewhat white knuckled and probably won't do it again.

Quote:
BUT…..overall I am enjoying the new car. I’ll be posting pics of her soon.
Oh well OKAY! I'm glad to hear that your not totally sour on the car as we were initially led to believe. This was a very interesting post. I'm looking forward to hearing more!
Okie Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 03:59 AM   #4

My Vehicle: Former 2014 Crosstrek owner

Wow... I felt the same exact way going from a 2004 Forester 5MT to a 2014 XV Crosstrek premium CVT. Hope you can adapt and be happy, I never did. I wont ever look at another car (any brand) with a CVT. Good luck.
VSurfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2018 Limited

I too wish the steering wheel controls had a HU mute button. Otherwise, I find everything else to be great. I know there are those that do not like the CVT but I find it to work flawlessly in my 2018.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight

My 2015 CVT was smoother and more responsive than my 2018
The Stereo in the 2015 was better (except no Apple Car Play)
All other aspects I like my 2018 better
northframingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:22 AM   #7

I think the 17 rim wheels are better tuned to the car. I test drove it and actually liked it better.

The 18 inch wheels are definitely firmer, cornering more precisely

Given a wheel dyno test that showed just how much horse power heavy mud tires took away.

I’m dying to try the reverse. I am looking for a lightweight rim tire 18 inch combo to get even more power which I feel is lost in the heavy wheels.
I had a 2006 impeza before. Which I might chacterize as the rolsroyce of Corollas.
Almost mechanically perfect but definitely beautiful on the inside not out.

The new Crosstrek has sporty handling inspite of its 8.7 inch ground clearance. It’s a great car to drive
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:52 AM   #8

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek limited "the drifter"

Was excited to see this comparison to 2015 model.. which i drive daily. I do have eyesite and cvt.. LOVE Eyesite ! Subaru created an ADHD friendly viehicle and its saved my ars on many occasions, yet like most everthing its not perfect..cauition in heavy traffic when chaging lanes and having speed set alot higher than current traffic conditions .. it surges to meet speed and seems does not quickly catch the vehicle in front of you in time..anyway .. next reply is on the paddles .. personaly i use the sht out of them .. expecially in winter driving-downshift vs braking .. EXTREME CAUTION IN ICE ! Do Not Use Paddles to downshift simultanious with applying brakes !!! IT WILL LOCK UP .. INCLUDING STEERING WHEEL LOCK ...I found out as i was decending at slow rate on an ice an snow covered road on mt.hood as i entered a left hand curve - foot applying gentle pressure on brake pedal and downshifted with sterring wheel paddle..bam LOCKED UP!! no sht .. slid off road and bounced off sidehill and back on road then stopped.. WTF !! Was Grace of God only thing that bounced off dirt hill was my rims hit rocks - did not pop bead on tire yet dinged up rims .. no body marks or damage at all .. just rims..took to dealership and ran full diagnostics .. everything was good .. and thats when i learned that its known that can and will happen..
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek limited "the drifter"
Arrow additionally —

I forgot comment regarding LED and your radio.. 1- led - just want to suggest aftermarket (obviously) led are awesome and widely availible everywhere an in blue -red-white-amber ect.. i use a cool blue led for my main interior lighting .. love it !! also use led in boomarange lights .. they just an led answer for 194’s and work excellent.. 2. Radio- NO MUTE on steering wheel ? Are u shting me ?? Thats a deal breaker !! curious .. what model ,you mention Limited .. ( same as i have for 2015 with eyesight ) is there a packadge addon or upgrade or extras where that is an option ?? after my experiance with the subaru radio -including the firm ware updates ive applied which finnaly alowed to MUTE the navigation voice ) i will research and purchase a complettly different deck.. currently its so intertwined with sxm radio that if you do not subscride then my navagation - Traffic - is completly useless to me. Like buying an Xbox and not subscribe monthly access for gaming ..
anyway .. think thats all from me - ? for now lol.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
crash is offline   Reply With Quote