Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Oil Level Question

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  rickeroo 
#1 ·
My 2019 came from the factory with the oil level above the full mark on the dipstick. I check it on level ground with the engine shut off for 5 minutes. If I leave it overnight and check it, it is even higher on the dipstick. About 1/2 inch above the upper full mark on the dipstick.

I put 3,000 miles on it and took it in for its first oil change. After getting home, I checked it and they filled it to the exact same level, a good 1/2 inch above the full mark.

Anyone else notice this? Is this normal? This is my first Subaru.

#4 ·
Look at your bill. How many quarts of oil did you pay for. I live in Canada so they add oil in liters. The manual says 4.7 liters for an oil/filter change. They always put in 6 liters and that's what it shows on the bill. I've complained about this from 2015 when I bought my first Crosstrek. They always drop the price by 1 liter of oil. They just don't get it. Why ? Because they know most people will never question it and most people will never check their oil level. It's all about money. Them taking it from you.

#6 ·
My 2019 also came with the dipstick reflecting overfill, the dealer told me I was reading the dipstick wrong ??!. I did the first oil change myself, new filter, correct amount of oil, and the dipstick reflected the same amount of overfill as when the car was brand new. Wonder if they all came with the wrong dipstick. I do know that with the correct oil change, the dipstick will be a half inch or so above the full mark.

#16 · (Edited)
Leave the oil in for the duration---it's full synthetic and isn't breaking down--but change out the filter much sooner on the assumption that a lot of junk is floating around inside the engine from the manufacture. Initial filter may be clogged with abrasive dirt, metal filings etc, and the rest still in circulation could cause a lot of abrasive wear. Most of the contaminants remaining after filter changing is probably under 12 microns and will polish the surfaces. I used a Fram TG7317.

#12 ·
After reading this thread i checked the oll level in our new 2019 Limited; ( approx 950 miles): level was about 1/2 in above the 'full" mark. Based on the above discussioin, i will keep an eye on it , until the first oil change at 6K. I am a little confused with the Maintenance Schedule chart where it says ( for oil/filter change interval) "(S209*) where *= every three months//3000 miles; what's the 'S209'? and why is a timeframe relevant to an oil change? Any help understanding this would be appreciated...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.