Overpaying for service - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-13-2015, 02:17 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV Black
Default Overpaying for service

Not sure if this is the proper spot for this thread, so by all means Admins move it if you need to.

So this happened to me the other day, I noticed my fog light was not in it's proper housing while I was waxing my car, so I took it to my dealer to get it checked out. They said that the housing for it was broken, probably from and impact. I have no other damage to my front bumper so I have no idea how that could've happened but they said it would be about $250 to fix. I promptly told them no and thanks anyway.

Later I jacked my car up and figured out how to fix it myself. Called the dealership and ordered the part for $12. That is a crazy upcharge if I do say so myself.

I haven't started this thread to bash Subaru because I love them and my car, just the crazy markup for services and parts sometimes. I want people to share their stories as well, not necessarily about Suabru and maybe they can give tips on minor fixes to help other people out with similar problems.
End Rant

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 03:40 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight

Most dealerships be they Subaru, Toyota, Nissan, Ford etc will rape you with service charges and parts charges. I've found over the many decades I've been driving Indy shops are usually cheaper. Case in point. The 2011 Golf TDI I traded in for the XV the VW dealership for an oil and filter change was about $160 Canadian. The Indy shop I found charged $80 Canadian for an oil/filter change. They both used Mann oil filter and the proper VW spec 507.00 diesel oil. Go figure. Glad I sold the Golf before the VW Dieselgate scam was revealed
Old 10-13-2015, 04:40 AM   #3

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

They assume you want nothing but the best for your car. So to make you feel good they charge top dollar. They specialize in your car and have all the special one of a kind weird tools to work on it. The dealership paid dearly to the manufacture, to be able to sell Subaru's and to also sell parts/service. In the auto industry Service Department are known as Revenue Departments.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #4

I understand the markup and all that, was just wondering if there was anyone else with crazy stories about things that they were about to get charged for but found a waaaay better way to do it themselves. This was my most recent example
Old 10-14-2015, 12:11 AM   #5
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

As stated, it is actually the service department of an auto dealer that brings in the most revenue, not necessarily sales.

I've had the opposite, I was comparing service prices between a local Subaru independent shop and the local Subaru dealer for a brake service and the dealer actually ended up quoting the cheaper service cost.
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:26 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotteets View Post
I understand the markup and all that, was just wondering if there was anyone else with crazy stories about things that they were about to get charged for but found a waaaay better way to do it themselves. This was my most recent example
It will always be cheaper to do the work yourself if you have the skills and tools. Many will go aftermarket for parts/fluids if they want to avoid the OEM prices. Did this myself when younger and now I don't care to. Surprising what age will make you pay for.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogen Man View Post
It will always be cheaper to do the work yourself if you have the skills and tools. Many will go aftermarket for parts/fluids if they want to avoid the OEM prices. Did this myself when younger and now I don't care to. Surprising what age will make you pay for.

So true
Sparky_of_SoCal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogen Man View Post
Haha yea I bet, Im still pretty nimble so I like to do what I can while I can. But my father in law also has a Crosstrek and he used to never take it into the shop and now will for anything, he said he's tired of climbing under cars.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:14 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 crosstrek

I was quoted $65 (or was it $69) this last week for a cabin filter change because there "is a fair bit of labor involved"

I said no thanks.
Funny thing is 95% of that labor was wasted just to check my filter.
Stormtrooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #10

Haha thats halarious, you can change it yourself in 2 minutes if you know how to get your glove box out of the way.