Performance when climbing - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-31-2016, 02:23 AM   #1

Default Performance when climbing

Hello all,

I have a 2015 Crosstrek limited. Today when climbing near Frisco Colorado (8000-9000ft) on I-70, it became very difficult to break 60mph. The car was at ~4000-4200 RPM consistently for 8 minutes or so. I was constantly being passed. Is this typical? Are there any tips or tricks to get more performance when climbing?

Thanks!

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 05:09 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I think it's normal. Though, I haven't been up to that elevation, my dad's Honda Ridgeline with a 250 HP naturally-aspirated V6 engine felt like 170 HP through the mountains in Colorado. We could barely hit 60 MPH, with the accelerator pedal mashed to the floorboard (Yes, 100% throttle most of the uphill drive).
Old 03-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #3

Welcome to the club Ernie! Yes I agree it's normal behavior for the Crosstrek. The Crosstrek was designed as a very capable but economical CUV. I really enjoyed the high mpg last year on a 4,000 mile road-trip.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #4

You can get a little more get up if you take control of the transmission and bang it off the rev limiter a few times.
Sparky_of_SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

My Vehicle: '16 Crosstrek premium

You are a victum of the laws of physics.The higher you go the less oxygen available to burn the fuel.The less oxygen available the less fuel can be added and still achieve combustion.The less fuel you can add the less power your engine can put out.If you want a car that gets good MPG and still has good power in the mountains then you will need a turbo powered car such as the WRX.A turbo will give the engine the oxygen it needs to give you the power you need to get you to the top of the mountain at the pace you desire.
MarioAndretti is offline   Reply With Quote