Please name this part - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-14-2019, 05:14 AM   #1

Default Please name this part

Hello,

Me and my wife are looking to join the Suburu family.
We are interested in a 2015 CrossTrek, manual with 32K miles.
Low miles, yes, but old, so warranty is almost up.

Any way it seems nice and solid. I found this under the hood.
So far that 128 point inspection seems useless.

They told me it was there so that it could tow from the front as well as the back.
I think he meant flat towing.It is definitely not OEM.

It looks like some vacuum actuated solenoid thingy. It is tapped into the brake booster.
Has 2 crappy power wires. One harness that goes behind the radiator and one returning to the firewall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mysterypart.jpg (114.0 KB, 40 views)

Misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #2

Having just bought a 2019 Crosstrek Premium (CVT, of course), and having read ALL of the manuals (yeah, I'm that guy...), Subaru ONLY says for flatbed towing due to the AWD system. (I could be wrong but it may allow for short distance towing (I think 8 miles?) at less than 20mph.) So no idea what that thing is in the photo. Anybody else?
Blue Bendite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:11 AM   #3

Is it a manual transmission? If it is it can be flat towed. I tow my crosstrek behind my RV!
Sparksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #4

So is the neutral on a manual different from the neutral on the CVT?
Blue Bendite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #5

All I know is Subaru allows flat towing with the manual transmission as long as the car doesn’t have the push button starter. I’d does not allow it with the automatics or CVTs.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 16 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited, Hatch, Crystal White
Default Please name this part

Itís also zip tied in. I donít believe itís oem but it may be oem and someone didnít know where to put it back so they plopped it there.

Subaruís have awd so never tow your Subaru without a flat bed in the case of an emergency.

flat-towing is entirely different. The ďneutralď is not different on a 5 speed than that of a CVT, itís just slightly easier to put a manual in neutral.

I donít see why it would matter. If you need the tow truck driver to pull your vehicle onto the flat bed they arenít going to drag your automatic Subaru onto the flatbed. Theyíll put it in neutral and roll it up via wench. Why wouldnít that be the same for flat towing? Just pop the tiny plate off the shift trim, press the reverse lock out button with a screwdriver and voila: shift into neutral without turning the car on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #7

I was looking at the device tapped into the brake booster as something that might provide auxiliary braking if you towed your Subaru behind an RV. In which case to get Subaru’s blessing it would need to be equipped with a manual transmission.

Missfit77. Is there any additional hardware in the open area at below the grill that would indicate that this car was being towed behind an rv? There would be a trailer plug for the lights as well as receivers for the towing hardware.

And is the crosstrek you’re looking at a manual?