Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Please name this part

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sparksman 
#1 ·
Hello,

Me and my wife are looking to join the Suburu family.
We are interested in a 2015 CrossTrek, manual with 32K miles.
Low miles, yes, but old, so warranty is almost up.

Any way it seems nice and solid. I found this under the hood.
So far that 128 point inspection seems useless.

They told me it was there so that it could tow from the front as well as the back.
I think he meant flat towing.It is definitely not OEM.

It looks like some vacuum actuated solenoid thingy. It is tapped into the brake booster.
Has 2 crappy power wires. One harness that goes behind the radiator and one returning to the firewall.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Having just bought a 2019 Crosstrek Premium (CVT, of course), and having read ALL of the manuals (yeah, I'm that guy...), Subaru ONLY says for flatbed towing due to the AWD system. (I could be wrong but it may allow for short distance towing (I think 8 miles?) at less than 20mph.) So no idea what that thing is in the photo. Anybody else?

#6 · (Edited)
It’s also zip tied in. I don’t believe it’s oem but it may be oem and someone didn’t know where to put it back so they plopped it there.

Subaru’s have awd so never tow your Subaru without a flat bed in the case of an emergency.

flat-towing is entirely different. The “neutral“ is not different on a 5 speed than that of a CVT, it’s just slightly easier to put a manual in neutral.

I don’t see why it would matter. If you need the tow truck driver to pull your vehicle onto the flat bed they aren’t going to drag your automatic Subaru onto the flatbed. They’ll put it in neutral and roll it up via wench. Why wouldn’t that be the same for flat towing? Just pop the tiny plate off the shift trim, press the reverse lock out button with a screwdriver and voila: shift into neutral without turning the car on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I was looking at the device tapped into the brake booster as something that might provide auxiliary braking if you towed your Subaru behind an RV. In which case to get Subaru’s blessing it would need to be equipped with a manual transmission.

Missfit77. Is there any additional hardware in the open area at below the grill that would indicate that this car was being towed behind an rv? There would be a trailer plug for the lights as well as receivers for the towing hardware.

And is the crosstrek you’re looking at a manual?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.