Rear bearing and front axle make noise - should I fix ASAP, or wait? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > The Crosstrek Garage > General Maintenance & Troubleshooting

Old 07-09-2017, 02:32 AM   #1

Default Rear bearing and front axle make noise - should I fix ASAP, or wait?

The rear started sound like louder tire/road noise a few weeks ago. It's pretty subtle, but I asked about it at my recent oil change. They said it was the rear bearing assembly.

For a few months, there is a clicking sound when I turn very sharp to the right going uphill. They said that was a little looseness in the axle.

For both, they said they aren't emergencies - that they will gradually get worse and I can wait until the sounds are louder.

I have a 800-mile road trip coming up the first of August, a 500-mile trip the second week, and a 1,100-mile trip the last week of the month.

Should I wait to see if the sounds get worse before then? Or should I go ahead and get the bearing and/or axle fixed?

My 2013 XV has 75k. I'm a little disappointed to have these issues at this point (my Pontiac Vibe made it significantly farther before any major issues).

ergalthema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2018 Limited

Based on the 2,400 miles of driving you are going to do I would go ahead and get it done.
I guess you could ask the service dept. how long you may have.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #3

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek, Premium, 5spd, Dark Gray Metallic

Agreed. I waited until they were louder and ended up replacing all 4 wheel bearings to get rid of the loud road noise and the two front half shafts/drive axles to eliminate the clicking noise. Not cheap. =/
vpalko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #4

Lol. Want to gues when both of this issues will hit critical mass? Play Murphy's law against itself. Be proactive.
Subarust is offline   Reply With Quote