Transmission whine is "normal"? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

Default Transmission whine is "normal"?

A few months after driving my new 2013 Crosstrek, I noticed a subtle whine right at 60mph. The pitch stays the same, but the volume comes and goes depending on the RPMs, etc. It's not loud, but it's obvious enough.

I just took the car to the Subaru dealer for 30k service and I told them about the whine. After the service they said it is a normal transmission whine. I've never had it in any other car. (FWIW, 60 mph is a speed I often drive. But during the break-in period, I made sure to vary the speed and never stay at the same speed for very long.) Is this normal for this car?

Edit: mine is an automatic transmission.

ergalthema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

I've even noticed on my other cars with quite a few miles on them, there's a wine CVT or regular automatic transmission. I assume it's some wear and there's now very fine particles now floating around in the fluid. In which the CVT screen doesn't filter out. The fluid is now a little thicker moving around with the debri. Yea it's normal for it to wine, if it bothers you that much. I suggest you to have them do a transmission flush $300. Your other option is to e-mail Subaru customer care about it. Other than paying out of your pocket to have it done.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek DGM Limited - Package 23

It may be the CVT making the whining noise, but it may also be drivetrain noise farther down the line. Just before I traded in my '13 XV I had been (for months) experiencing gear whine at 55-65 MPH, more so when the drivetrain was under load (accelerating/going uphill, etc.) and less/none when I let off the accelerator. Based on my previous experiences I knew what it was right away. Initially the dealer told me it was CVT noise but quickly agreed it was the rear differential after a short test drive and examination. They ordered a new rear differential for my car that day.

Based on the fact that you hear the noise at ~60mph, i'd try the following to narrow down further the conditions at which it occurs. Hop on the expressway and accelerate up to and through 60mph, where you should hear the whine noise fade in around 55 and then out as you pass 65 or so. Also try accelerating briskly to the speed at which you hear the noise (loading the drivetrain), then let off the gas completely (less load on the drivetrain). If the noise goes away/mostly disappears immediately then your issue may be similar to mine and i'd suggest asking your dealer to examine it further.
NYXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYXV View Post
Initially the dealer told me it was CVT noise but quickly agreed it was the rear differential after a short test drive and examination. They ordered a new rear differential for my car that day.
And I'm guessing the whine went away?
ergalthema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek DGM Limited - Package 23

Actually, I traded the car in for my 2015 XV before they swapped in the new part. I didn't plan on getting a new car, but while I was waiting for them to look at my car I spoke to the sales girl who sold me my first car and worked out a deal for the new one. Due to numerous factors I got a deal that was too good for me to pass up.
NYXV is offline   Reply With Quote