Unidentified drip - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki
Default Unidentified drip

Hello all,
As I came home from work on Friday, I parked in the driveway for a while because I knew we would be leaving again shortly. When I came out, noticed a new strange small puddle underneath the car under the passenger side. I was curious, but shrugged it off as a one time thing.

But then noticed it again while out running errands yesterday. I know to expect a drip on hot humid days when running the A/C, but this was not the case. Temp was only in the 60s, I was NOT running the A/C, yet here's this steady drip underneath the passenger side.

Looking under the hood, I could find no obvious sign of anything leaking, still from underneath it was hard to determine where it was coming from. I dipped my finger in it and it seemed colorless, odorless, thin and clear, like water. From up top, I kept looking and looking... until I think I finally identified a short drain tube that looks to be the source. I was almost ready to take it back to the dealer for an inspection, but now I think I can wait.

I'm going to assume everything is normal but I just wondered if the collective expertise of the group here can tell me where this might actually be coming from? (Oh and I did do a couple of searches before starting this thread, but results were from posts complaining about water dripping INSIDE the floor on the passenger side, I checked under the floor mats and it's all dry inside. This is just an external drip as far as I can tell.)

I even captured a picture of a drop in motion using burst mode on iphone's camera—this view is from the right side just behind the front passenger side tire... (the puddle it was making not in view)

MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you been running the defroster? If so, that also uses the A/C system to remove moisture so you don't blow wet air onto a frozen windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

RallyeBourne is correct. If you have been using the defroster, it will operate the A/C regardless of what the A/C indicator light shows.

But if you have not been using the defroster, then that's quite odd.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 02:48 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2018 Limited

You don't mention the color of the fluid if as others have said, running defroster or AC will cause water to drip from drain line. If it's oil or coolant, then you should have it investigated asap.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks View Post
You don't mention the color of the fluid if as others have said, running defroster or AC will cause water to drip from drain line. If it's oil or coolant, then you should have it investigated asap.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

He does mention the color characteristics in the below quote, which was in his original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Moose View Post
I dipped my finger in it and it seemed colorless, odorless, thin and clear, like water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RallyeBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

It is very probable that the windshield defroster was on as that's been more or less my 'default' setting where I've left it most of the time, at least throughout the winter months. The air was a bit humid here when I spotted this so I'll bet you guys are (as usual) absolutely correct in that's what it is. I'll try running with it off and check if it goes away.

I did not realize that simply directing the airflow towards the windshield invoked the A/C system on this car. Is that fairly common or one the the little peculiar XTrek/Subie quirks? It's actually a nice feature, now that I'm aware of it!

Thanks for all your insight and input. That's what I love about this Forum.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2018 Limited

Oh boy, I dont know how I missed that
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Moose View Post
It is very probable that the windshield defroster was on as that's been more or less my 'default' setting where I've left it most of the time, at least throughout the winter months. The air was a bit humid here when I spotted this so I'll bet you guys are (as usual) absolutely correct in that's what it is. I'll try running with it off and check if it goes away.

I did not realize that simply directing the airflow towards the windshield invoked the A/C system on this car. Is that fairly common or one the the little peculiar XTrek/Subie quirks? It's actually a nice feature, now that I'm aware of it!

Thanks for all your insight and input. That's what I love about this Forum.
Defrosting or "demisting" the windshield is doing the same as the A/C. It is pulling moisture out of the interior. This is standard for pretty much ALL cars.
RayG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Yup defrost was going to be my guess/suggestion as well.

And like Ray stated, thats how a the vast majority of car defrosters work.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013, Premium, Dark Gray Metallic

Just a thought.... Maybe water from the sunroof drain..... If you have a sunroof. Not sure where it drains. Had a S10 blazer and the sunroof drains ran down the A pillars and dumped on the door hinges causing premature hinge pin failure. I am rambling on, sorry!
mifiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote