Unlocking all doors from the driver's door 2016 US non hybrid - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-08-2017, 01:16 AM   #1

Default Unlocking all doors from the driver's door 2016 US non hybrid

Does anyone have instructions so I can program my 2016 Cross Trek to open all the doors at one time?
I am a first time Subaru owner, and so far I am underwhelmed.
I had a Prius for ten years, and when I pulled on the driver side door, all the doors would open. Never had a problem.
Now I own a CrossTrek, and I am getting such hassle from my dealer to make my 6 month old car do the same thing.
"It's a safety issue," they said. Well, how safe is it for me to have to walk around the car again to open the driver's door, to unlock the hatch, to remove my briefcase and gym bag? How safe is it for my ten year old daughter to be standing outside, yanking on the handle over and over, trying to get in the car while I figure out the buttons?
"Just push the fob twice," they said. But the whole reason I invested the extra money on the remote entry is so that I don't have to take my key fob out of my bag. I never lose my car keys because it always stays in my bag. Period.
I can't tell if I am getting the "don't worry your pretty little head, lady" treatment, or if there are lawyers hiding behind every tire rack, but I am beyond frustrated.
Has anyone else gotten this run around? How did you solve it?
Do you have instructions that worked for you?

doretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #2

Doesn't the "unlock" button on the armrest unlock ALL the doors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

Yes. Once you are inside. I want all the doors to unlock when I open the driver door.
doretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #4

Ah, right... keyless entry and all that. My "guess" is that it IS a safety type issue. IF you were alone in a sletchy lot with plenty of hiding places, you open the door and ALL the doors unlock, what is to stop someone from slipping in the back door? I know, unlikely scenario, but that's what legal teams think of. I suspect the number of times you need it might warrant having the key fob EASILY accessible in the bag- possibly clipped just inside, so that when you need to unlock all the doors, you can quickly double click with no rooting around looking for them. Sorry I can't suggest anything more technical than that...
RayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:59 AM   #5
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Your dealer is being either dishonest...

...or there is a policy in place by either your local dealership, your local Subaru dealership region, and/or Subaru of America that does not allow for the settings to be changed by dealerships. This is one of those things where if your dealership refuses (which they have), bring it up to Subaru of America customer service to get clarification. Regardless, I recommend you show them this information in your owner's manual, rather than letting them wave off your concerns.

As you can read below, the settings CAN be changed but it does not have any instructions listed. As far as I'm aware, it requires a proprietary Subaru scantool called the Subaru Select Monitor, which is a prohibitively-expensive scantool for anyone but a large shop or dealership.

Page 2-17 to 2-18 of the 2016 Subaru Crosstrek owner's manual
https://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/11...IS020116_9.pdf
Quote:
Door unlock selection function
The door unlock selection function makes the following operations possible.
  • Unlocking the driver’s door without unlocking any other doors (including the rear gate) when gripping the driver’s door handle
  • Opening the rear gate without unlocking any doors when pressing the rear gate opener button (5-door)
The operational/non-operational setting for this function can be changed by a SUBARU dealer.

Operational:
  • Only the driver’s door will be unlocked when the driver’s door handle is gripped.
  • The rear gate will open, but the other doors will remain locked when the rear gate opener button is pressed. (5-door)
Non-operational:
  • All doors and the rear gate will be unlocked when the driver’s door handle is gripped.
  • The rear gate will open and all doors will be unlocked when the rear gate opener button is pressed. (5-door)

The factory setting (default setting) is set as “operational”.
For further details, consult a SUBARU dealer.

NOTE
The setting can be changed by your SUBARU dealer. Contact your SUBARU dealer for details. Also, for models with the multi function display, the setting can be changed by operating the multi function display. For details, refer to “Keyless access setting (models with “keyless access with push-button start system”)” F3-84.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Some good digging in the owners manual there!
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:39 AM   #7

From what I've seen on youtube it appears the Canadian 7" HU's have open access to all car settings from the touch screen. Guess they feel the US customer isn't mature enough to make any changes to their cars operations. Frustrating!
caddguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2019 Crosstrek Limited -Orange

OK....I'm really confused. You have a remote built into/on your key, no?
On my 2015, there is the lock button, the unlocking button, and the hatch unlock.
When I want to open ONLY the driver's door, I hit the unlock button once. When I wan't ALL of the doors (and hatch) to unlock, you just hit the unlock button twice.
My older prior Subaru, 2012 was the same.
So either they've changed this after 2015, or you have some patience issues. LOL!
-Keith
keithwceb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwceb2 View Post
OK....I'm really confused. You have a remote built into/on your key, no?
On my 2015, there is the lock button, the unlocking button, and the hatch unlock.
When I want to open ONLY the driver's door, I hit the unlock button once. When I wan't ALL of the doors (and hatch) to unlock, you just hit the unlock button twice.
My older prior Subaru, 2012 was the same.
So either they've changed this after 2015, or you have some patience issues. LOL!
-Keith
The OP has a proximity key. They do not have to take the key out to unlock the door. But to open the passenger door they have to either pull the key fob out and double click the unlock or walk around to the passenger side and use the proximity feature.
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote