Washer nozzles... - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Default Washer nozzles...

A niggling question to be sure, but are the windshield washer nozzles easily "aim-able"?
In my opinion, they hit the windshield a bit lower than I'd like. Unless you squirt it "just right", the stream hits BELOW the wiper and doesn't make it to the top of the windshield. Unless you squirt a few times and can get the stream above the wiper on the upstroke, it's only doing the bottom half. Especially on the passenger side.

Be gentle, it's my first question and my first Suby...

RayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2017, 01:46 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I've heard that washer nozzles were intended to be used at freeway speeds for maximum effectiveness. I have not verified the validity of this statement, but it makes sense to me that using it at high speeds would maximize the effect of spreading the washer fluid.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #3

I'll agree with that theory, but even at highway speeds the stream is a bit weak and lower than I'd like. May need to do a bit of minor fiddling to restrict the hose to increase the pressure. When it goes in for it's first service, I'll ask about it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 03:47 AM   #4

My Vehicle: Former 2014 Crosstrek owner

Check the Crosstrek service manual, Wiper and Washer Section (9) has the procedure for adjusting the nozzle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WASHERADJ1.jpg (72.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg WASHERADJ2.jpg (65.8 KB, 36 views)
VSurfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

Nice info, thanks. Now, that "Washer nozzle Adjustment tool" is probably $400 or something

I'll wait until the service and ask them to tweak it just a bit...
Old 02-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #6

My Vehicle: Silver '16 Crosstrek

but remember to be very careful when adjusting them. i bought my previous subie ('02 legacy) used, and the nozzles were screwed up. (i don't know if it was from an attempt to adjust them, or from aggressive ice clearing.)

the price for oem replacement parts was absolutely outrageous, but a kind and generous person sent me a couple, for free, because they were left over when he customized his car.

if you do mess them up, either find another kind and generous person, or keep in mind that the aftermarket ones, with flashing leds, will fit, even if you don't wire up the leds.
nielkmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #7

My Vehicle: Silver '16 Crosstrek

slightly off-topic, but...

the back up camera seems to be much more prone to dirt than the windows, partly due to its location, and partly due to its (lack of) design.

it would be great to add a little washer nozzle to it, especially since there's already a washer on the hatch, that i could tap into. functionally, it wouldn't be a problem to have it squirt every time the rear wiper does, so i wouldn't need any extra controls or power.

has anybody tried this?
nielkmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:14 AM   #8
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielkmot View Post
slightly off-topic, but...

the back up camera seems to be much more prone to dirt than the windows, partly due to its location, and partly due to its (lack of) design.

it would be great to add a little washer nozzle to it, especially since there's already a washer on the hatch, that i could tap into. functionally, it wouldn't be a problem to have it squirt every time the rear wiper does, so i wouldn't need any extra controls or power.

has anybody tried this?
I don't believe this has been done, but I do vaguely recall on a Subaru WRX STI forum, someone wired and re-engineered their rear washer fluid to instead spray water on the intercooler (the heat exchanger that cools the charged air from the turbocharger).

Not the same idea, but I would imagine adding an extra hose and washer dedicated to cleaning the rear camera would be a welcome modification and probably require far less work than the above idea I mentioned. If you're mechanically inclined enough to do so, I'd love to see it implemented and perhaps start a modification trend for those with the reversing camera