What happened to Subaru? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

Default What happened to Subaru?

When I got my Crosstrek in the fall of 2012 I was very pleased with it. However, when summer came and the temps rose, I found that running the A/C caused the car to have major power/acceleration issues. Things like sluggish starts to bucking as if on the verge of vapor lock. Took it to the dealer and they said everything was working correctly. Changed brands/grades of gasoline, nothing worked.

Now I'm reading where newer Subaru's with high mileage are burning oil.

I've was a huge fan of Subaru (this is my 4th), absolutely loving my Legacy SUS and 3.0 Outback Sedan. My 3rd was a first year Tribeca that gave me some issues and now between the engine issue and the fact that my Crosstrek is closing on 60K, I'm thinking it may be time to jump ship.

I'm not sure what I will get next but for the first time in a while I will be looking at something other than a Subaru.

CTCrosstrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

Get a high flow muffler ( muffler delete) and remove the carbon vapor screen.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCrosstrek View Post
When I got my Crosstrek in the fall of 2012 I was very pleased with it. However, when summer came and the temps rose, I found that running the A/C caused the car to have major power/acceleration issues. Things like sluggish starts to bucking as if on the verge of vapor lock. Took it to the dealer and they said everything was working correctly. Changed brands/grades of gasoline, nothing worked.

Now I'm reading where newer Subaru's with high mileage are burning oil.

I've was a huge fan of Subaru (this is my 4th), absolutely loving my Legacy SUS and 3.0 Outback Sedan. My 3rd was a first year Tribeca that gave me some issues and now between the engine issue and the fact that my Crosstrek is closing on 60K, I'm thinking it may be time to jump ship.

I'm not sure what I will get next but for the first time in a while I will be looking at something other than a Subaru.
You mentioned the power issue back in October 2013 so I'm surprised you still have it. Do you have a manual tranny or CVT?
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2015, 06:38 AM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I think you need to put some perspective to how "weak" the XV Crosstrek feels to you.

These are the rough, estimated weight to power ratios of the previous Subaru vehicles you had.

BD-chassis Legacy Outback 2.5
3200 lbs, 165 HP
19.39 lbs/HP

BE-chassis Outback sedan 3.0
3610 lbs, 212 HP
17.03 lbs/HP
or
BL-chassis Outback sedan 3.0
3610 lbs, 245 HP
14.73 lbs/HP

WX-chassis B9 Tribeca 3.0
4245 lbs, 250 HP
16.98 lbs/HP

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand the XV Crosstrek...
GP-chassis XV Crosstrek 2.0
3200 lbs, 148 HP
21.62 lbs/HP

Every single Subaru but your XV Crosstrek has a pound-to-HP ratio below 20 lbs/HP. Regardless of transmission choice, if the Crosstrek really does feel slow to you compared to your previous Subaru vehicles, that's because it actually is slower.

I too used to have a 2.5L Subaru Legacy Outback (mechanically similar to your Legacy SUS) and at slower speeds and uphills, I do find the XV to be quite a bit slower than my old Legacy Outback.

In fact, I sometimes find myself stalling with the FB20's adequate torque (142 lb-ft) because I was so used to the old EJ25D's sufficient torque output (162 lb-ft)

But when I glance at the Average MPG readout, I remind myself why I don't have an Outback. I got the XV because it was a more fuel efficient than my previous Subaru.

If power really does seem to be too much of an issue, consider test driving other vehicles.

As for the oil consumption issues, yes it exists, but I feel as though the scope of affected vehicles is massively over-exaggerated as most car problems are on all car forums. And don't forget it is far from just Subaru who is accused of having excessive oil consumption lately.
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

You mentioned the power issue back in October 2013 so I'm surprised you still have it. Like me! I'm guessing he's afraid he might purchased something even worse!
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 AM   #6

Hacksaw: I have the CVT.

I tend to keep my vehicles a long time and I can't stand the ordeal of car shopping/buying so I am willing to put up with a lot before I pull the trigger on a trip to the dealer.

For the record, the power issue is only when the A/C is on. Otherwise the power is adequate. I didn't expect an STI when I bought it.

I think my disappointment is a cumulative thing and not just with the Crosstrek. I had great luck with the SUS and the 3.0 Outback Sedan but with the Tribeca and the Crosstrek I've had more build quality problems than most other cars I've owned. While my first two Subarus were virtually bulletproof (both of them along with my Dodge Raider went well over 200,000 miles), the last two have been problematic (I dumped the Tribeca at 66K when the driver side door lock failed, the passenger window motor failed and the sunroof wouldn't close...of course, it had started raining).

As of last week, I can add another thing to the list. The battery died.

I'm seriously considering trading in the Crosstrek for the vehicle I passed over when I opted for the Crosstrek and that's the Mazda CX-5.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:23 AM   #7
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Well, under heavy load, the A/C cutoff should be disengaging the A/C clutch, reducing the drag and bucking when accelerating. However, even with my 5MT, I do sometimes have the same issue, I've simply learned to compensate by adjusting my accelerator position and live with it.

Sounds like the issues you've had in the Tribeca are primarily electrical-related. Honestly, I'm not surprised considering newer vehicles are adding more electrical accessories and sensors.

As cars get newer, more technology (usually addition of electrically-operated accessories and sensors) means more problems down in the long run.

Also, the FB engine hasn't been out that long, so Subaru is still trying to master it.

From the sounds of it, despite being a strongly pro-Subaru enthusiast, I would definitely recommend keeping your mind open to your potential options such as the Mazda CX-5. I'd recommend you to check out the Mazda CX-5 forums on the world wide web, ask previous and current owners on their opinions (and the Mazda's own problems and quirks), and definitely have another test drive of one.
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the insight. i got to thinking about it and I wonder if some of my problems could have been because both my Tribeca and Crosstrek were first year models. Just a thought.

My experiences with the first 2 Subarus make me want to stay with Subaru. While I'm definitely going to check out the CX-5, maybe I'll look into an Outback or Forester as well.

Thanks again!