What the?! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #1

Default What the?!

I just called my dealership and asked when they could and how much an oil change is. The answer was $70.95. If must be liquid gold or a platinum filter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #2

Sounds about right. That's why I change my own using an extractor.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:00 AM   #3

Why on earth is it so much for an oil change? I can get the truck changed with full synthetic for less than that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2016, 01:25 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black

My Tribeca is 7 quarts of conventional and its around $30 at the dealership. XV is 5 quarts syn at over $70. I change it myself (and slice my hand). So the dealer's greed has cost them my 5w30 business as well even though I still buy my filters and crush washers from them.

Never ever ever go to a JiffyLube or the like.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #5
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Despite the cost to the consumer, most automotive repair facilities don't actually make much money off of oil changes.

Oil changes are usually an entryway to look for things that may need servicing on your vehicle. As for the price, I think its primarily due to the cost of Subaru's synthetic engine oil, which is around $6-8 a U.S. quart, and the labor cost.

* $30-48 for engine oil
* $7-10 for the engine oil filter
* $50 labor hours charge (let's assume $100 per labor hour, and 0.5 labor hours listed for an oil change)

$87-108 for an oil change service based off of those rough estimates.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #6

My Vehicle: Hyper Blue 2016 Crosstrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Despite the cost to the consumer, most automotive repair facilities don't actually make much money off of oil changes.

Oil changes are usually an entryway to look for things that may need servicing on your vehicle. As for the price, I think its primarily due to the cost of Subaru's synthetic engine oil, which is around $6-8 a U.S. quart, and the labor cost.

* $30-48 for engine oil
* $7-10 for the engine oil filter
* $50 labor hours charge (let's assume $100 per labor hour, and 0.5 labor hours listed for an oil change)

$87-108 for an oil change service based off of those rough estimates.
Not to mention the engine requires 0W-20 which is more expensive because of the cost to refine it. I looked into the math and it all makes sense, not that it makes it any easier. Even if I do it myself it's around $50 for the oil and the filter.
PropWashHBXVSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT (ISM)

My dealer offered me 5 oil changes for $149 when I had the first one done. Didn't go for it because I figured I'd do my own at some point but haven't yet.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #8

0W-20 is still a standard. I can get 5 quarts of 0W-20 Royal Purple full syn for $40 and Mobil 1 for just under $30. I am sure the dealership isn't using that kind of quality. I still don't have a clue what could be so special about this engine that Subaru claims,

"The procedure for changing the engine oil and oil filter should be performed by a properly-trained expert. It is recommended
that you have this service performed by your SUBARU dealer."

Jiffy Lube, Sears, Midas, Brakes Plus etc . . . change a billion car's oil a year. They all do it for a third of what was quoted at the dealership. I understand paying the difference for full Syn, but $70? Are they not qualified? It should only require competence and isn't normally rocket science or brain surgery to change the oil on a car.

Subaru also wants some specific Subaru coolant. I find this pretty bogus that they don't even list a standard for comparable aftermarket equivalents.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #9
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
0W-20 is still a standard. I can get 5 quarts of 0W-20 Royal Purple full syn for $40 and Mobil 1 for just under $30. I am sure the dealership isn't using that kind of quality. I still don't have a clue what could be so special about this engine that Subaru claims,

"The procedure for changing the engine oil and oil filter should be performed by a properly-trained expert. It is recommended

Jiffy Lube, Sears, Midas, Brakes Plus etc . . . change a billion car's oil a year. They all do it for a third of what was quoted at the dealership. I understand paying the difference for full Syn, but $70? Are they not qualified? It should only require competence and isn't normally rocket science or brain surgery to change the oil on a car.

Subaru also wants some specific Subaru coolant. I find this pretty bogus that they don't even list a standard for comparable aftermarket equivalents.
The "properly-trained expert" text is simply to cover themselves legally, at least that's what I believe they put that there for. But also, I think its supposed to deter those who are not mechanically inclined to attempt an engine oil change. Yes, its easy for us DIY'ers but not everybody knows what goes on in a vehicle.

As for cost of the service, a typical quick oil change place is geared specifically for quick engine oil changes. A dealership representing a car manufacturer likely pays more to its technicians, and also is designed to do far more than a quick oil change place can be used for. Paying the operating costs of a little quick lube vs a dealership is obviously going to have a gap.

Practically every automobile manufacturer, not just Subaru, specifies its own proprietary antifreeze/coolant mixture. The engineers of manufacturers design everything to work together. Although the majority of engines now use aluminum blocks and heads, the manufacturer engineers are the ones that know the fine properties that make a antifreeze/coolant mixture optimal for specific engine designs and materials. Yes, a generic antifreeze/coolant mixture will function, but it likely won't work best or last as long compared to what the engine was specifically designed to use.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

There is not a quick change place that I know of that will change your oil using full synthetic for one third of $70. The price will be similar if not more.