Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Wheel hub bearing and axle nut torque specs

52K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  chiroptera980 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm in the process of changing my 2014 XV limited's rear wheel bearing hubs again(this is the 2nd time in 90,000 miles :mad:). Thankfully they were easy to pry out.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the 4 hub bolts and the axle nut? I haven't been able to find them online.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Welp,

I called Subaru headquarters and two service centers for the information I needed.

For anyone else:

150 foot lbs on the rear axle nuts and 48 foot lbs on the wheel hub bearing. These torq specs are important due to the sandwich conjugation of the axle spindle -> wheel hub bearing. Torq it too hard and something will crack, torq it too lightly and the hub will die prematurely.

I'm selling this pos, that's 4 bearings in 90k miles, not to mention the multiple notices on engine short block/ac failures.

Good luck with these things.

#3 · (Edited)
I had the same issues with my 2014 (AC compressor/condenser, wheel bearing hubs, axle shafts, seized idler pulleys, oil burning, funky CVT shudder / bucking / surging (3 Subaru dealers said normal CVT behavior, LOL), so happy I sold it @ 75K miles (good trade price from a non Subaru dealer). After 2 good Subaru cars (1984 & 2004) I switched brands, you can tell the quality is just not with Subaru anymore. So many better AWD vehicles out there. Good Luck!

#8 ·
Planned obsolescence! I had a ‘07 Nissan Versa and a ‘04 Chevy Malibu that were both WELL over 150k miles. Never changed the axles or bearings once. My 2014 Crosstrek needed them at just under 100k. And Subaru is supposed to be a way superior product than Chevy or Nissan (in my experience and opinion). Not anymore. There’s money to be had 😤😤😤 I’m also annoyed there’s no service manual so I really appreciate the torque specs! I replaced the axles last month and rear bearings this month. Took 4 days to do just one. Corroded on and trying many different tools and methods. COME ON SUBARU DO BETTER