Would you recommend the service plan/extended warranty? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-02-2016, 02:00 AM   #1

Default Would you recommend the service plan/extended warranty?

Hi there! First time posting. Bought my 2016 Crosstrek Limited a week ago. I had no intention of buying the service plan but the financing guy pretty much strong armed me into it.

Today I find out there was a bit of a snafu with the financing and it looks like the lender doesn't want to cover the cost of the service plan. I could go in and pay that money outright or I can cancel the service plan which is what I'm leaning toward doing?

Those of you who have it, is it worth if? If you don't have it, do you have any regrets?

Thanks for your input!

okietrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

I personally regret not getting it on mine. My engine has been pulled out twice in ~42k miles. Once because a rocker arm fell off and damaged a cam lobe, the second because oil was leaking around the oil pan. I tried going through SOA to get an extended warranty recently, but once the 30k warranty was up they wouldn't budge. I tried to get just a powertrain warranty and that was a no go either.

I would much rather pay the warranty premium over the life of the vehicle loan than to have to pay the repair bill after the warranty. I saw the write up for engine R&R and it doesn't come cheap...

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

On our 2012 impreza We ended up getting a replacement passenger seat cushion when the airbag sensor in the seat failed at 50k ($800+) and a replacement climate control when it wouldn't stay in vent or defrost because the detents at the end of travel each way stopped detenting (600+) then got a refund of $300 when we traded our car in at 75k, which means the $1400 cost of the warranty got me $1700+ so it was worth it in my case.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

My Vehicle: Hyper Blue 2016 Crosstrek

I bought the extra 7 years/70,000 mile warranty just because of the STi package. If a wheel breaks I really don't feel like coming up with the money to fix it, and it won't happen in the first 36,000 miles. Personally it's not a bad investment but some auto insurance companies offer their own warranties that will cover you when the manufacturer warranty expires.
PropWashHBXVSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight

Big money maker for the dealership. That's all I have to say.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogen Man View Post
Big money maker for the dealership. That's all I have to say.
I have to agree with that assessment. However, if it buys you piece of mind...
Old 02-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
I have to agree with that assessment. However, if it buys you piece of mind...
it's more of a stop loss, for the next 100k other than a $100 deductible per issue, I'm not going to have any unforeseen expenses. in 40,000 miles it wouldn't have been worth it, however i'd have gotten most of my money back too. in 50,000 it probably would have been break even, by 75k i was up money. and if you think of most cars, especially with all the electronics now, for me the biggest would be the hybrid battery, if it ends up paying for that it will be way more than worth it.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek Premium- Orange

I work for an insurance company (GAP more specifically), and over the course of my time doing this, I have literally only seen one vehicle use their entire service plan. Every other plan gets refunded in the event of a total loss, since the vehicles were without issue. If a vehicle is going to have major issues (like needing an engine pulled), normally those signs arise within the first 36k miles (within the factory warranty). But like Hacksaw said, if it buys you piece of mind, go for it.
WavinWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:06 AM   #9

Dealerships buy extended warranties from other companies, then charge you way more for it. If you want an extended warranty, then just go to the companies and buy it direct. You will save a ton of money that way. Last one I did was through warrantydirect or something and it was less than half what the dealership was going to charge, and the dealership was going to go through the same company.
Roushlamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2016 Hyper Blue Premium Crosstrek

I have the Gold Plus or whatever it is, and after the primary warranty is up, if you don't end up using it, then you get your money back.

Plus it is all through Subaru, so no third party parts or third party mechanics.

It even pays off during the primary warranty (without affecting your money back).

I blew a tire around 8k miles and the road hazard from the extended warranty covered a new tire for me.

And from what I hear, Subaru does a good job with the road hazard also, if the tires are worn enough that one new tire would cause strain on the drivetrain, they will replace all 4.
xRuhRohx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service plan, warranty