WTY-84 Valve Spring Fracturing - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #1

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof
Default WTY-84 Valve Spring Fracturing

Hey Guys,

Got a recall notice in the mail pertaining to "WTY-84 Valve Spring Fracturing" I think in December, still waiting on my dealer to stock the parts to bring my vehicle in. Link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-3242.pdf.

Have any of you gone through the recall process yet or have you had any issues?

This will be the 3rd time my engine has been pulled out with only 67k miles, so yay me!

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 03:49 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

My household got the letter... for a 2013 Subaru Impreza hatch.

It took approximately 2 weeks for parts to arrive.

As it is a safety recall, try to push for a free loaner. Lots of those who got service at my area got loaners or rentals.

So far, my little brother's 2013 Subaru Impreza 5MT has no issues after the service.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #3

How long did it take for the repair to be completed once he dropped it off? I was reading elsewhere horror stories of 2 weeks or more.

Definitely going to ask for a loaner, haha!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2019, 03:39 AM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeytoe View Post
How long did it take for the repair to be completed once he dropped it off? I was reading elsewhere horror stories of 2 weeks or more.

Definitely going to ask for a loaner, haha!
Well, it was maybe 3-4 days after parts arrived that the labor was completed.

So yeah, expect some terrible wait times. Make sure you let them know they are obligated to give you a loaner or rental vehicle, as the defective components can lead to a safety hazard.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 AM   #5

My 2013 is currently in. I scheduled it the first time along with the 90k....they gave me an appointment 1 1/2 weeks out. I traveled out of town for work...wife dropped it off...they said, oh,sorry...no loa er available, and we can't do the service now anyway, only one mechanic has the tools and we didn't get the parts in ....no call to let us know....so I dropped it off this week, after a not so nice call ahead to verify I'd get a loaner...ended up with a 2019 outback (very very nice)...the in take guy said it could be a few weeks, because they are behind and once they get them open, they find other things that need to be replaced and they have to wait for those parts....
chipnwaldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #6

I got my oil changed yesterday at the dealer and to ask about a "roaring" sound, which turned out to be my passenger rear wheel hub going bad.

My dealer said they are still waiting on parts and are hoping to do 2 vehicles a week and estimate about 1000 affected vehicles in the area. They will be doing their own separate mail out, so I'll be waiting a while yet... I talked to the Subaru tech who always seems to be there when I bring my vehicle in and we joked about how easy mine will be because he's taken it apart so many times haha.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

...I had the rear wheel bearings replaced at my 90k too...same roaring sound...hope they last....warranty is about up...
Old 02-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

I just rolled 69k on mine and started noticing it about 68k. After watching Youtube I figured I save a bunch of money and change it myself, just have to go buy a 32mm impact socket haha. I'm going aftermarket for my new hub, Timken I believe.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #9

Good luck...when I had the 2.5 RS impreza, there was a "special" way to replace the bearings that Midas could not do....they tried, then refunded my money after figuring that out...no idea if the cross trek is similar....hope the hub is easier...and not "special"