Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Performance upgrades?

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  GSBoorman 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering if there were any NOTICEABLE performance upgrades for the 2019 2.0 engine that won't void the factory warranty?

#2 ·
I bought and installed a K&N high-flow air filter last year and have been happy with it. You'll feel some slight gains in the low-mid range where it really does make a difference for passing or staying at speed up a hill, etc. That's your cheapest possible improvement, voids nothing, and is low maintenance, too. Other brands exist but I haven't tried them personally.

[This paragraph may or may not affect warranties] Other choices do include an aftermarket intake – from what I've read people have trouble sealing them. I took a good look @ my 2017 2.0, and it's actually routed from the filter box up to the grille, and seems to be as efficient as I've ever seen an OEM intake (non-performance). Sealing this off for fresh air might not be a bad idea. There are intake spacers out there.... I might find out if they meet the hype. <--//-- Any of these options may be worth 5-10 bhp or engine hp when combined.

Another option I'm considering for one day is a tune. These can be done properly and not void your warranty, either. A tune can change the 'character' of the drive so it gets the max performance, but it would be more ideal to tune after you've made modifications, if you make any. Add 5-10 hp to the 5-10 you added with parts. Sounds reasonable?

#8 ·
Many vehicles do the EXACT same thing because the A/C blows drier air than the heater and the drier air absorbs that condensation on the inside of the windows. That's just science. And it only runs the A/C when you have the climate control set to defrost. How on earth could that have been a deal-breaker if you'd known about it???

#9 · (Edited)
Yep, yep-so, as a scientist, I am aware of the science. :)

Just like the soon-to-be-mandated auto-stop/start feature, I do not have to like the always-on A/C defrost. It makes absolutely no sense in the winter when the heater works just as well or better. The air is already super dry (where I live in the SW). The option should be there to turn it off when deemed unnecessary. I have found that the A/C defrost helps during the warm, wet seasons.

The issue is deeper than that, and is part of an overall bigger picture now. Mine is a MT; when the A/C kicks on (unless I am really moving along), much of the time it coincides with shifting. For a while, after I purchased the Crosstrek, I found myself stalling at lights/stop signs because of it. It was not an issue with it being a MT, because I have owned and driven many different types of MTs. So, I guess I should have said that if I had known about the low-powered (low-inertia, really) engine being overcome by the A/C kicking on, that would have been the dealbreaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.