Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

2019 Manual Transmission Cooler

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Cool Breeze 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i have a 19 premium with the stick shift. I have a homemade teardrop trailer that I tow with it. Fully loaded, the trailer is still under 1100lbs. The car did fine this summer to northern Michigan, but we plan to take it on some decent trips including crossing the Appalachians and eventually out to Moab/Zion eventually. My question is: should I add a transmission cooler? I could do it myself and they aren't too expensive. I'm just wondering if it would save some wear and tear long term. I plan to keep the car for 10 years then pass it on to my daughter, so it'll be around for a while.

Any thoughts? There's info about adding a cooler to the CVT, but nothing I can find regarding the manual.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Lion's Back has been closed for many years now. Way too many issues with people not able to handle it without wrecking their junk.

To the OP: You don't need a cooler on the trans. Manual transmissions don't get hot enough to be an issue. Just follow the "severe duty" maintenance schedule if there is one. And really, all that means is that you change fluids more often.

#6 ·
Gotcha, thanks guys! I guess I assumed MTs were cooled like ATs and I would add an additional radiator to further assist in cooling (thus it would already have a pump to circulate, i would increase capacity.) But, if thats not the case, i'll just roll with it.

Thanks for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.