Does the Outback and Crosstrek share the same CVT transmission? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > The Crosstrek Garage > Transmission/Drivetrain

Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 AM   #1

Default Does the Outback and Crosstrek share the same CVT transmission?

Or? are there differences?

shaginwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 05:05 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

As far as I am aware, Subaru has two general lines of CVT's.

There's the "regular" ones (used on non-turbo boxer-4 engines), then there's the "high-torque" ones used on turbocharged boxer-4 and naturally-aspirated boxer-6 engines.

I would believe that the architecture of the non-turbo boxer-4 engines between both models may share a lot of the same major things like the case, but may not share the same exact components due to differences in engine output. For example, the Outback CVT may have heavier and/or more-durable components than the one on the XV/Crosstrek as the XV/Crosstrek engine has less power output, assuming comparison done on USA market vehicles.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:20 AM   #3

My Vehicle: '16 Crosstrek premium

From what I have read I believe there are three different CVTs.There's the entry level used in the Impreza with a towing capacity of zero.Do not tow with it.There's the mid range CVT used in the Crosstrek with a towing capacity of 1500 lbs.There's the H4 Outback with a towing capacity of 2700 lbs.And then there's the H6 Outback with a towing capacity of 3000 lbs.Due to the big difference in towing capacity and similar power between the first three,they must have different transmissions to handle those different weights.The small difference in capacity between the H4 and the H6 Outbacks being just 300 lbs more must be due to the added power of the H6 engine.The turbo cars obviously use the Outback CVT.Yes,the turbo cars have more power but,unlike the Outback,you won't be towing with it so that extra power and the stress on the CVT that goes with it will be used to move the car instead of that heavy load.Therefore the load on the CVT will be about the same give or take.
MarioAndretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 12:57 AM   #4

I thought that the impreza had 4.11 gears and the Crosstrek had 4.33. Could this be a difference?
belchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:18 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2019 Crosstrek Sport CVT - DGM

Also slight gearing differences. For example 2017 Outback is difference from 2018 outback. 2018 Forester is different from 2018 Outback. 2019 Crosstrek again is difference from the rest.
GSBoorman is offline   Reply With Quote