Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Rear differential fluid change (2017 Limited)

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Monty484 
#1 ·
About to replace my driver-side rear wheel bearing (already swapped the passenger side about 10k miles ago...) and figured now (at +70k miles) is as good a time as any to change the fluid in the rear diff... I tend to drive my vehicles hard.

1. What I'm having a hard time finding are the torque specs for the rear diff drain and fill plugs. Can anyone help?

2. I know a 1/2" drive will work in most plugs, but does Subaru recommend something else? i.e., T70 Torx bit?

3. Also, I purchased OEM 'gaskets' (look more like crush washers) but I've read on other websites that Subaru recommends some sort of thread sealer to prevent oil wicking out of the plug ports. Anyone know what thread sealer they mean?

3. Lastly, I'm going with Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 if anyone has any relevant input there.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
In case it helps someone else:

1. 36.9 lbf-ft is the proper torque for drain/fill plugs for VA1-type differentials.

2. A T50 Torx bit is required for the above plugs.

3. Subaru does recommend ThreeBond brand thread sealant on the plug threads but I used Permatex 59235 high-temperature sealant with no issues so far.

4. No issues so far using Mobil 1 75w-90.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.