Solar panel - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

My Vehicle: Desert Khaki CVT
Default Solar panel

Anyone know of a quality trickle charge panel? Something that would fit on the dash a d plug into the cig lighter. I like to listen to my radio and I don't want to end up with a dead battery. ;D
Thanks!

dirtylittletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium Black
Default Re: Solar panel

Amazon has a few different dash-mount solar panels that plug right into the cig lighter.

I'm guessing you spend a good bit of time sitting in your car with the engine off. Personally, I'd just let the engine run.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Yes, I am aware of the plethora of panels on amazon. That's why I'm asking for opinions. I would rather have an opinion from someone who has found one that works well, than buy a few that don't. 8)
I do spend a lot of time in my car with the engine off and I don't want to run it because it is a waste of gas and pollution. I would prefer to have a panel trickle charge.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

iHeartRadio app on your mobile device and some decent headphones. 8)

Seriously, if you're sitting in your car listening to the radio long enough to drain the battery to the point that your daily commute doesn't recharge it, then you need to find something else to fill your time. That much down time would drive me nuts and there's nothing good on radio these days.

Consider that cold-starting your engine probably drains more battery than 30 minutes of radio time. Another point would be that any solar panel capable of recharging a car battery is probably 5x more expensive than a new battery and would be too large to fit in the back w/o folding the seats down.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #5

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

Amazon has great reviews on allot of stuff, take a look at this one! http://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Main...+solar+charger
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Sport Jasmine Green Metallic

keeping in mind the cig lighter is ignition switched
The Rog Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:20 AM   #7

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

It's a cool idea and I've always wondered why manufacturers never put a large solar panel in the roofs of vehicles.

I think the problem you'll run into is that you won't really have any benefit. You'd have to be listening to your radio for several hours and at a loud volume to actually need something like this. I've run my radio 2-3 hours while camping, listening to football games, and never had an issue.

Another problem is size. A 30+ watt panel is going to be around 2 sq ft, if not larger. You could get a smaller 5 watt panel, but I honestly don't think that will do you much good. You'd also have to park facing the sun for the solar panel to even be of benefit, which could be tricky and annoying at times.

As long as your battery isn't on the way out I think you'll be fine. I think the best and most convenient thing to do would be to buy one of those small battery back ups and keep it in the trunk. That way if your battery is failing you have peace of mind and can also help others!

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The
keeping in mind the cig lighter is ignition switched
You raise an interesting point. I wonder if this would affect putting power back into the system in some way.

Beyond that I wonder what kind warranty issues would come up if you hook up a solar panel for the purpose of trickle charging the battery.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #9

So anyone know how long the battery will last with the Nav radio and seat heaters on?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:58 AM   #10

I have had friends install an extra battery in the rear of the vehicle for the stereo only. It charges off you alternator and saves your starter battery if you play the radio for long amounts of time. I have no idea how it was wired. It was back in my younger car club days. We would hangout in the parking lots and he played the music.
Mauldin is offline   Reply With Quote