Best Crosstrek Tire. - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
Member
 
Craigc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
Default

Hey guys! So it’s coming close to replacing the stock Yokohama Geolander G95A’s and I’ve been researching the best tire option. I’ve been thinking about getting the Michelin Defender LTX M/S but I’ve heard that cornering isn’t the best with them? I’d like to know what tires people who have Crosstreks have and what works the best for the Crosstrek? Thanks! 🙂

Craigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 66
My Vehicle: 2013 XV Ltd - 2015 XV Premium
Default

The best tire really depends on how and where you drive. Any quality tire will do fine on the Crosstrek for everyday driving. We have 3 season and winter tire sets and don't do any off road or overly spirited driving. We do see a lot of wet roads during the spring and fall months. Have been happy with the General Altimax RT43 (have had two sets now). Feel they are are a great compromise between handling/wear and cost. However, as I said, best tire for you depends on how/where you drive. Same goes for winter tires.
__________________
Dennis in PA
-------------------------
Our Crosstreks
d.r.h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
Member
 
Craigc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.r.h. View Post
The best tire really depends on how and where you drive. Any quality tire will do fine on the Crosstrek for everyday driving. We have 3 season and winter tire sets and don't do any off road or overly spirited driving. We do see a lot of wet roads during the spring and fall months. Have been happy with the General Altimax RT43 (have had two sets now). Feel they are are a great compromise between handling/wear and cost. However, as I said, best tire for you depends on how/where you drive. Same goes for winter tires.
I live in Utah and I have a pretty mixed driving style. I’d like a tire that offers good all round traction but especially in the winter with the snow. I’m currently looking at: Michelin Defender LTX M/S, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and now the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT.

I have the General AltiMax RT43 Tires on my Jeep Patriot, but my Crosstrek is more likely to do some light off-roading...but both vehicles will be driven in the snow.
Craigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-02-2019, 01:48 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid
Default Michelin Defender LTX

I replaced the stock Geolanders on my 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid with Michelin Defender LTX about a year ago. The Defenders aren't the quietest tire at highway speeds, but I've found them to be a good compromise tire for all-purpose (dry/wet/snow/mud) mixed use. No complaints here.
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:05 AM   #5
Member
 
Craigc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
I replaced the stock Geolanders on my 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid with Michelin Defender LTX about a year ago. The Defenders aren't the quietest tire at highway speeds, but I've found them to be a good compromise tire for all-purpose (dry/wet/snow/mud) mixed use. No complaints here.
Thanks for that man. I kinda thought that the Defender LTX M/S was more of an SUV/Truck tire...but you said it did good on your Crosstrek? I’m torn between that and the Goodyear Assurances WeatherReady. Both have really good reviews on Tire Rack.
Craigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:08 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Cogen Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 297
My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight
Default

On my 2019 Limited I had the dealership remove the stock tires when I bought it new and install Nokian WRG3 SUV tires. These are all weathers to eliminate swapping to winter tires. Worked great this past winter in some pretty good snowstorms. Never had a problem going anywhere I needed to go. Now that the warmer weather is here we'll see how they wear.
__________________
2019 Limited with EyeSight.
Cogen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:23 AM   #7
Member
 
Craigc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogen Man View Post
On my 2019 Limited I had the dealership remove the stock tires when I bought it new and install Nokian WRG3 SUV tires. These are all weathers to eliminate swapping to winter tires. Worked great this past winter in some pretty good snowstorms. Never had a problem going anywhere I needed to go. Now that the warmer weather is here we'll see how they wear.
Yeah I’ve heard of those too! They look pretty good! I think I prefer the Goodyears though. The Michelin’s look too big and heavy for the Crosstrek in my opinion and I’ve only ever seen them on big SUV’s.
Craigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 7
Default

I have 16in rims with Falcon Wild peak Tires with 2in lift only little trim work to make them work. They are great and quiet on the road.
Whv3rd1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:28 AM   #9
Site Team
 
AWDfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,940
My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default

If winter traction is a concern, you may want to look into all-weather tires, which are all-season tires with the 3PMSF certification for winter condition traction.

Some examples include the Michelin CrossClimate, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Vredestein Quatrac5, Nokian WRG3, and more.
__________________
"Why would I want to profess my feelings for some 3D girl?" - Tomoya Aki from the anime Saekano
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigc View Post
Hey guys! So it’s coming close to replacing the stock Yokohama Geolander G95A’s and I’ve been researching the best tire option. I’ve been thinking about getting the Michelin Defender LTX M/S but I’ve heard that cornering isn’t the best with them? I’d like to know what tires people who have Crosstreks have and what works the best for the Crosstrek? Thanks! 🙂
I replaced the Geolanders last year @ 30,000 miles. The Michelin Defenders do most things really well. I lost about a mile per gallon but gained improved wet weather performance, softer (good) response to pot holes, good and precise general handling, and a slight reduction in noise. Our winter wasn't bad enough to test the tire this year. The biggest downside is cost, but in my opinion they are well worth it. Defender has been the top rated tire in consumer reports for at least the last couple of years.
brunohornbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« 18'' Tire grief | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.